Wobby Roo, yellow lice (i think)please help me save!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by southernpriss, Dec 24, 2011.

1. southernpriss

southernpriss Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    Hey Yall
    I noticed a couple of days ago my 8 month old silkie Roo was not crowing with his brother. that night he was laying on the ground instead of being up on the roost. then yesterday his legs started shaking when he walks and is really wobbly and when he tries to move to fast he falls over. so I dusted him and since he is white I could see dead little yellow bugs all over him.(I dusted everyone else last night as well) I have had him inside feeding him live cultured yogurt with apple sauce and meal worms. and putting poly vi on his beak. he is still really wobbly has anyone ever dealt with this does it take them a while to recover or could it be something else.
    His poop is relatively normal still solid not runny and he holds his tail up. he isn't acting real sick its just the wobbly thing. I am about to see if I can get him to eat some tuna.
    PLEASE any advise is greatly appreciated I don't wanna loose my beautiful Roo for Christmas

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  2. southernpriss

Sep 6, 2011
    oh and I do not see any cuts or spots on his feet.

3. GreenMeadows

GreenMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    might worm him also?? Maybe a warm bath and let him by him self so he can relax. Good luck!

4. southernpriss

Sep 6, 2011
    ok I will try thank you.

5. southernpriss

Sep 6, 2011
    I just noticed his poop is green I know that is a result of not eating enough he always has plenty of food, treats and is free range in our yard. And I have been feeding him inside for 2 days. I just put him out and he is walking around still real shaky and looses his balance. anyone have any idea as to what could be wrong?

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I think he was probably drained to debilitation by the bugs, but does his crop feel OK?

7. southernpriss

Sep 6, 2011
    CMV it felt normal yesterday and it had emptied during the night. I pray that is all it is I got all the bugs off (i hope) and have been feeding him I took him outside and isolated him in the run off the coop. should I do that or just keep him inside and nurse him?

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I'm not sure where you are at, but if it is cold, then I would bring him inside to nurse him. I would also get some vitamins into him- NutriDrench or PolyViSol would be appropriate. Give him as much food as he will eat. If he is really debilitated from the bugs then it is going to take several days for him to build up some reserves. He could pass at any point because his resistance is really low and he will not be able to tolerate stress. I would make sure he eats as much as he can and then put him in a dark room/closet where he will shut down and sleep. He will need his rest. You might want to bring a favorite (docile) peer to be with him while he's recovering. Flock animals do much better with a friend to keep them company.

Good luck with him. I hope he makes it.

9. southernpriss

Sep 6, 2011
    I just went a checked it it feels normal but kind of empty there is a little bit in there but not much.

10. southernpriss

Sep 6, 2011
    Ok CMV I have him back inside I got him to eat some more gave him some poly vi and closed all the curtains and shut the door so it is nice and dark. thank you so much for your help. I pray he will get better with time. he doesn't seem to be any worse so I have my fingers crossed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by