1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wohoo, coops dry!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mom'sfolly, May 3, 2007.

1. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Last night it rained like Noah's flood; at least two inches in an hour with wind. The coop has a large hardware cloth covered window. When the rain let up a little, I checked on the girls. Normally they roost in a pile as close to the window as they can get. Last night they were spread out and away from the window, but dry! My dh and I are not very handy, so it was great to see that the coop was really weather proof. Some people in the area got 5-6 inches of rain last night. Gotta love Texas in the spring, anything can happen!

Karen

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

[​IMG] So glad it all worked out for you. Sounds like you and DH are handier than you think! Congrats!

3. suburbanhomesteader

suburbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, boy, are you right about that weather Wed night!

I live in Southern Dallas County (Lancaster), and happened to be driving west on I-20 when the rain and wind hit; it nearly pushed a semi over! When I got home, the canvas cover had been blown off my chicken tractor, and the ninnies were still roosting outside in the wind and rain (they only go in the covered area to lay their eggs, although it is 4'x4'...)

Lots of trees down, power out for a while. And my hens won't lay eggs for a couple of days now; each storm seems to keep them puckered up for a couple of days!

Glad your girls stayed dry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by