Woke up this morning to a dead hen

Candacebishop

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 17, 2013
The last 2 days she hasn't been running around when I go out there like the others. She would just lay under the coop. She did come out for a little while yesterday to drink and eat. Then this morning we found her dead. I have 6 hens and they are all healthy, large birds. 4 are Rhode Island reds and 2 New Hampshire yellows. She was a yellow. They were this years Easter chickens. 4 are laying but she isn't one that lays. What could've possibly happened, I'm so shocked.

So sorry for the loss of your pet. Were you able to check her over if you could see anything unusual? Deaths in young laying hens often have to do with their egg laying system not working right and something has gone wrong, since she had not laid an egg it does make you wonder if something along those lines was the problem. The rest of the flock look and act OK?

I had a similar thing happen to me. one of my show birds was found dead in the morning. I suggest you watch the rest of your flock closely because in my case in the next following weeks I lost another and then another. I'm assuming in my case it was a virus that had spread through my flock. I don't mean to alarm you but be cautious with your other birds making sure no one else is acting "off" in my case at first I thought it was a isolated incident. But when I started loosing more I knew it had to be a virus. Not saying this will happen in your case but sharing my story in hopes to help. So it very well could be just a isolated case but watch your flock closely making sure nothing else is a miss.im very sorry for the loss of your bird. I know it can be devastating. I wish youthe best and hope all goes well for the rest of the flock. Best wishes

My fiancé thought the same thing, that it probably had to do with her egg laying situation. There weren't any signs of anything physically wrong with her. The other girls seem to be fine except they are starting to molten and 2 are getting pecked alittle because of it but I have been putting blue-kote on them. I'm still getting 3-4 eggs daily as usual.

Thanks so much realsis for sharing your story. I love my girls and they have grown to be big, beautiful birds and I'm so proud to have them, so I am very devastated. :-(. And I definitely don't want to lose anymore so I appreciate your story and advice! I check on them several times a day, everyday so I'll be on the lookout! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom