1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Woke up to a dead hen in my coop. :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shellybean40, Jul 6, 2011.

1. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I opened the chicken door this morning and the stampede was not there. How weird, I thought. I go to the people door and immediately see Opal curled up in a ball in the corner. When I put them down for the night, she was on the roost. Yesterday, she was scratching and dust bathing with all of the girls. No one has been sick. The only difference in the coop is my hubby put in new roosts, which are a little too high in my opinion. Should we install a ladder for them? or reinstall them lower?

Also I put my 11 week old EE Roo in there, but that was after dark to introduce him.

She did not have a mark on her. She had her head tucked under her wing, like she died in her sleep. [​IMG]

2. Sandy16

Sandy16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    I'm so sorry for your loss [​IMG] I don't know what might have happened to her...hopefully someone with more experience can help you figure it out.

3. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    that's so sad, I'm sorry. I had one die under their roost once, she had a tumor on her liver that had burst, there were no outward signs or symptoms.

4. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I also wonder if it might be the heat. We are in south Texas. I am installing their fan tonight.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Sorry about your little Opal [​IMG] There's really no telling when they die after being seemingly healthy. Since she started out on the roost, I'd say whatever it was caused her to not feel well quickly, since she was off the roost and in a corner - many animals seem to go toward a corner when they're sick.

6. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    I had the same thought. I was recently reading an article that talked about heat and chickens. It said to use an industrial fan made specifically for barns. It said something about regular fans having electrical issues because of all the dust and possible fires resulting from them. I use a window fan and was worried when I read the warning.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Sorry for your loss. Having her head tucked under her wing indicates several things: It's too cold (not.) Protecting herself. A sickness. If it was a sickness, (which I believe it was) there's no telling what it couldve been unless you've seen symptoms from her that you didnt mention.
    I recommend that you lower the roosts. By doing so it will eliminate the problem with having to jump down and possibly injuring their legs/feet, causing sprained ligaments and tendons. I learned the hard way about high roosts, especially with heavy breed chickens.

8. hencam

hencam Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Hi- it's always awful to find a dead hen from no apparent reason. Chickens have many healthy issues that aren't visible and they die suddenly. However, in this case, I am guessing there's a management cause. You'll never know exactly why she died, but there are plenty of questions to ask. Chickens don't fall off roosts (their legs lock in place) but they can fall off shelves, etc, if their feet are flat when sleeping. Is there enough roosting space? Was she shoved off? Is it hot, and crowded and she died of heat stroke? Chickens do appreciate different levels of roosts, so whether the one roost is too high, I'd add another two. See my roosts on www.hencam.com (check the inside cam.)

9. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    My hens have 2 roosts but always sleep on the highest, regardless of whether or not there are lower ones. Maybe you could add a ladder so they can get off without having to fly down.

10. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have had that happen a few times over the years, seemingly healthy birds as well. It could have been a number of things really, heat can definately be a factor. I am so sorry for your loss [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by