woke up to a sick hen. what could be wrong?

dawnsglory

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
winter springs florida
83678_2011-10-18_105042.jpg

This is what she is doing. Wings and head are drooped. She will pick up her head if I make a noise. She didn't eat or drink anything this morning yet. I bring them in at night still. Her crop is empty. She wouldn't even eat her favorite treat from me. She was fine last night before I brought her in for the night. Poop was normal with no bloody poop or any unusual this morning. She looks like she was drugged or got into something which I know she hasn't. She doesn't have any signs of illness. She was fine last night. She is 18 weeks old. If anyone knows what I can do for her please respond. She looks pitiful. She has been otherwise healthy. I feel I'm going to lose her. She won't eat or drink a thing.

Poooooor baby! She DOES look pitiful. I'm winging it here..but if I had a hen looking like that, I'd be giving her a shot of penicillin each day for 4 days hoping it would kill whatever is ailing her since she doesn't look good at all. Other alternative is that maybe she's got worms and you could try to de-worm her, but if her poop looks normal - then I am not sure I'd lean that way. I had three hens get puny like that recently and decided it was some type of peritonitis - the vet saved the first with penicillin, then I ordered some to keep on hand. It didn't get here in time to save the second (over a weekend-no vet), but I gave it to the third myself. Both lived and are healthy.

I hope someone else chimes in here...

Thanks for the fast reply. My friend said her rooster was doing the same thing and it turned out to be from worms. Even though she didn't see any thing in his poop either. She brought me some penicillan and some DE. This is what she did for her rooster and he got better. I spoon fed her some food mash and sugar water also. So I will keep treating her and see what happens from here. If anyone has any more suggestions, please let me know. Thank you

It looks like a neurological problem, though its hard to tell just from the picture. Are you sure she hasn't gotten into anything poisonous, maybe something that has lead in it? You're not feeding her out of a decorated bowl made in China are you? It just reminds me of a muscovy I had. She became similarly neurological and very pale. We realized that she was eating paint chips off of an old park bench that we had in the yard with about a million coats of paint on it.

No I don't think that is it. She eats and drinks out of the plastic "chicken" feeders. Can't think of where she got into any lead. She stays in her run with the other girls who are fine. I still bring her in at night. Their area isn't secure enough for night predators yet.

Back
Top Bottom