Wolf dog pet + chickens and ducks

Jaimejo

Hatching
Nov 24, 2018
Hello!

New here. Joining because I just moved onto 8 acres and am ecstatic about getting chickens soon. However, my partner and I rather impulsively bought a puppy right as our property closed. And not just any puppy, a wolfdog pup

Maybe this is the wrong section, but I was curious if anyone had any experience with wolf dogs on their property with their live stock, namely chickens, and whether it was a hopeless case or not Our little Lupin is only about 9 weeks, so it's probably too early to worry, but I just introduced him to my ferret and he thought I was giving him a snack

Any experience or insight would be lovely ! ❤️

Izzychicky

Songster
Mar 20, 2017
New york
I personally wouldn’t even chance having a wolf dog around my chickens, I’m cautious enough as it is with my pug/chihuahua/ dachshund puppy, even though she is 9 lbs and not getting any bigger. If you kept your chickens separate in a predator proofed area I think it would be fine. But I would make sure that your dog can’t get to them because they would definitely be a tasty snack.

Btw lupin is an adorable name for a wolfdog!

sourland

Broody Magician
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 3, 2009
New Jersey
Welcome to BYC. The pup's prey drive may be too strong to correct with training. I would suggest electric fencing to protect any flock that you establish.

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
11 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
Hello!

New here. Joining because I just moved onto 8 acres and am ecstatic about getting chickens soon. However, my partner and I rather impulsively bought a puppy right as our property closed. And not just any puppy, a wolfdog pup

Maybe this is the wrong section, but I was curious if anyone had any experience with wolf dogs on their property with their live stock, namely chickens, and whether it was a hopeless case or not Our little Lupin is only about 9 weeks, so it's probably too early to worry, but I just introduced him to my ferret and he thought I was giving him a snack

Any experience or insight would be lovely ! ❤️
Check for forums with people having experience keeping Wolfdogs. You will not find it here. Hopefully, among those you find some with also keep chickens.

Jaimejo

Hatching
Nov 24, 2018
Thanks everyone for such speedy responses!!

I already have an area of the property I want to fence off as a dog yard. My other dog is a boxer and not expected to be an excellent farm dog lol If need be these guys can just be separate (and will be regardless other than with direct supervision).

And yes, Lupin only seemed fitting for a wolf hybrid when my other dog's name was Sirius

Jaimejo

Hatching
Nov 24, 2018
Where did you ever find a wolf-dog pup?

Honestly I was driving past Walmart and someone was selling them lmao. Turns out it was my brother's friend who he got his wire haired dachshund from. Once I have some money to put aside I'll send in a sample to see what percentage he is! What I was told was his mom was 79% hybrid and his dad was AKC German shepherd. He's a gorgeous lil boy nonetheless ❤️

Attachments

• 20181117_114001.jpg
    20181117_114001.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 17

coach723

Free Ranging
6 Years
Feb 12, 2015
North Florida
I used to have one, female, she was a wonderful animal, but had lots of training. You must NEVER forget the breeding, ever. It can surface at unexpected moments, especially during stress or excitement. Prey drive may be very strong, it's instinct. When you breed a predator to a herder, it can be a difficult combination to manage. Mine was quite willfull and stubborn if she questioned your authority. Her parentage was: dad was 50/50 wolf/german shepherd (he looked like a wolf and was enormous), mom was 100% husky. I would never have trusted her alone with children or small animals, just because of her breeding, if I was with her she was quite obedient. She was crate trained and was crated in situations that were not safe to take chances. As a puppy we had some battles for who was going to be in charge, ultimately she accepted that we were, but there were moments where she pushed it. You really cannot treat them like a furry child, they need a strong pack leader. I wish you luck with him and hope he can be a keeper. I would do some reading and research and consider starting clicker training early. If you reach a point of trouble with him, it will be difficult or impossible to rehome him. Best of luck.

Jaimejo

Hatching
Nov 24, 2018
I used to have one, female, she was a wonderful animal, but had lots of training. You must NEVER forget the breeding, ever. It can surface at unexpected moments, especially during stress or excitement. Prey drive may be very strong, it's instinct. When you breed a predator to a herder, it can be a difficult combination to manage. Mine was quite willfull and stubborn if she questioned your authority. Her parentage was: dad was 50/50 wolf/german shepherd (he looked like a wolf and was enormous), mom was 100% husky. I would never have trusted her alone with children or small animals, just because of her breeding, if I was with her she was quite obedient. She was crate trained and was crated in situations that were not safe to take chances. As a puppy we had some battles for who was going to be in charge, ultimately she accepted that we were, but there were moments where she pushed it. You really cannot treat them like a furry child, they need a strong pack leader. I wish you luck with him and hope he can be a keeper. I would do some reading and research and consider starting clicker training early. If you reach a point of trouble with him, it will be difficult or impossible to rehome him. Best of luck.

Thanks so much! He's definitely obstinate, but so far more on the side of willing to please. I'm not the type to rehome. If need be I'll get chickens when I'm in my 50s vs rehoming, so he always has a place with me. I'm willing to take it slow and have lots of restrictions. My ultimate goal is to grow my baking business at home and be a constant property warden If I need to block off half an acre or more for my dogs and another half for my fowl, I'm not against that at all!
(oh and I'm not interested in having children, and if anything I'm on the side of not trusting children with my animals vs the other way around lmao)

Top Bottom