1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wolf Sanctuary Visit *pics added*

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Kitsune, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Kitsune

Kitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Manchester - England
    Yesterday I went back for a visit to the wolf sanctuary I have worked at the past 2 years over the summer, the drive down went well, this is the first time I’ve been there in winter and the views were strikingly different. As we drove the roads got progressively smaller and smaller till we reached the single track road that leads up to the sanctuary, as we rounded the last bend we could see down into ‘wolf valley’ the herd of deer were up on the hillside and the enclosures looked fantastic, it was the first time I’d seen the place with no nettles and thistles!

When we’d parked up and handed over the hares my friend had shot for the wolves we went up to say hello to Madadh and Kgosi (pronounced Maddy and Kosi) we kept back from the enclosure behind the safety fence (about 15 feet from the fencing) and they prowled the other side looking out at us, as always when I’m watching the wolves here I wonder who is studying who.

We had a look round the barn, slightly changed from last summer but not excessively, the work that has needed doing for 3 years still needs doing, time just doesn’t move the same in that place. We said hello to the new ‘doodle dog’ a young deerhound that takes the place of Dixie who sadly died last summer just before I arrived to volunteer. Soon enough the other folks arrived for the tour and after the obligatory health and safety talk (which consisted entirely of – the amount of people who leave today must equate to the amount of people who arrived)

First of all we went into Luna and Nouska’s enclosure, they looked stunning in their winter coats and I got some fantastic photos, we did the usual photo opportunity where you sit on a hillock and have a piece of chicken put at your side, look forwards as though you’re just enjoying a day in the country, unaware that you have a wolf coming up behind you! When I went up for mine Luna came to pick up the piece of chicken, then as I looked down after the picture had been taken she dropped it right by my leg and came so close she almost brushed up against me. I have never seen her get so close to anyone before.

We left their enclosure and walked round the grounds, gave the wolves a howl at the top of the large enclosure and got an answering howl in reply, I used to talk to the wolves that way most mornings when I worked there, it’s a beautiful thing to communicate with them like that. We made our way slowly back round to Madadh and Kgosi’s enclosure and after distributing some treats Madadh, the female wolf was brought out, she caught my eye just before the gate was opened and I wondered if there was a flicker of recognition, there was. She came straight over to me, ignored the treats I offered and licked my face thoroughly, it was amazing, I was overjoyed, to be remembered and thought so well of by a wolf is just awesome.

We stepped back some and Madadh was brought out from behind the gate to see us all, she went person to person taking the treats but regularly came back to me, at one point even putting her head under mine in a gesture of respect, at that point the owner must have been quite impressed with her reaction to me as he handed me her chain while he went to get some more treats, she took the treats offered and then came back to stand in front of me, I scratched all the places she has trouble reaching, and marvelled at the winter coat, she looked so much more formidable. Of course the fact that she had eaten 3 full chickens the day before helped with her sense of presence, she looked almost pregnant! When Tony took back her chain and asked her to follow him back to the enclosure she stood tight at my side, I would have stayed with her all day if I could have.

It was, as I’m sure you can imagine, a magical day, nothing I have done or experienced so far can compare to that feeling of connection with Madadh.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Awesome!!!
    Can't wait to see pics.

3. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    How moving! Post some pics when you can!

4. Kitsune

Kitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Manchester - England
    Pictures!!

[​IMG]

This is Madadh, the female who recognised me [​IMG] She looked fantastic in her winter coat

[​IMG]

This is her Brother Kgosi, he's huge but I didn't manage to get a good picture of his body.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These two are Luna and Nouska from the lower valley pack.

[​IMG]

This is Nouska on her own

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally, Luna on her own.

I will hopefully get a pic back soon from my friend who took a pic of me when Luna came up behind me, but will have to wait for that one.

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Thanks, Kit!
    Those are beautiful!

6. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Beautiful creatures, thanks for sharing!

7. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    Those are beautifal pics. Wolves are suck awesome animals! Very cool!

~Casey

8. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Nouska was telling someone to back off. I have a husky and it is amazing the similarities in their body lanquage as compared to their wild cousins.

beautiful animals.

9. Payette

Payette Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2010
    Earth
    I went to a wolf sanctuary once, and a black wolf went right up against the fence, lowered his head, and pricked his ears up, and stared at me with his bright yellow eyes. I will never forget that day.

10. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    What beautiful wolves! I want to visit a wolf sanctuary at some point--I believe there's one down in Sacramento that I may be able to visit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by