wolf spiders!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by watchdogps, Oct 9, 2011.

1. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    This is in my HOUSE! We have killed a dozen in the last three days! Big, nasty wof spiders! Any suggestions for getting rid of them? We don't like pesticides, so natural repellents preferred.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Shotgun? BIG long board? (for squashing them, of course) Fire? *shuddering!* I'll have to say, I don't envy you. I hate spiders!

3. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Its a rental house, pretty sure shotgun holes would cost us our deposit. I can sqish them fine with a shoe, but that means they have to come out. I want them to just leave!

4. mamachicken888

mamachicken888 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    My chickens would make quick work of them there wolfs!

5. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    I keep vacuuming them. We have a house on a lake and those things are HUGE and scary looking! You must've had a nest nearby. Good luck! Maybe let the chickens run about inside the house? Mine ate up every one they could reach outside.

Check her out. She had huge pile of babies in that nest.
    [​IMG]

6. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I would be terrified. OMG I am such a big baby about spiders around the house. It is hugely ironic since I LOVE tarantulas like Chilean Rosehairs. They're big, slow, mellow, don't bite, and I KNOW I won't find one under my sheets at night to nibble my toes..

Spiders...under..sheets *faints*

7. mamachicken888

mamachicken888 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    p.s. I watched one of our month olds roust a fairly large grass spider. Oh, it was such fun chasing it and pecking at it, until it turned the tables and wrapped its legs around my girl's head. You never heard such a fit in your life! She squeeled like... well, like a little girl and slammed her head back and forth on the ground until the spider let go! Then, the chase was on again. I don't have to tell you the fate of that spider among 21 of my girls!

8. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Quote:Oh the terrorizing thought of them descending from the ceiling while I sleep and walking across my face to wake me...... [​IMG]

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I believe it's breeding season for them and they are looking for mates.
    I rented a house a couple decades ago that was overrun with them. I had no idea what they were, so I called an extermintion co. and told them about the tarantulas (in Seattle). [​IMG]
    When they stopped laughing they said they'd be gone in a few weeks or I could pay for them to come out and treat the house.

Imp

10. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    My cats are the best pest control in my house - if it moves, it's gone. Moths, beetles, spiders - kitty treats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by