Wolfdogs!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by RaresightFarms, Feb 1, 2014.

1. RaresightFarms

RaresightFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Does anyone else have these beautiful guys? I have three currently, and I am getting three more this spring (one of which is arriving tomorrow). :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GarthRyan

GarthRyan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Those sure are pretty! Although I'd be worried of them becoming I'll tempered and going wild. Are they actually bred with wolves or is it just a breed that looks like wolves? Lol

3. RaresightFarms

Jan 8, 2014
    Yes, they have actual wolf blood in them. Otherwise, they wouldn't be a Wolfdog!

Wolfdogs, or even wolves, don't go ill tempered or wild for no reason if you raise them right. Wolfdogs have a lot of dog traits as well. I breed low and mid content wolfdogs (75% wolf and under). We socialize them from birth. They LOVE their people, very sweet, very intelligent. How much you let them meet strangers as they grow up effects how shy or not shy they are with new people. They are wonderful animals. They think of you as part of their pack.

4. GarthRyan

Apr 29, 2013
    Well that's cool!

5. RaresightFarms

Jan 8, 2014
    Thanks! :)

6. GarthRyan

Apr 29, 2013
    So do you have a wolf that you breed with a dog or do you breed dogs that are descendants from a wolf-dog pair?

7. RaresightFarms

Jan 8, 2014
    Wolfdog breeders don't generally use non-wolfdog dogs for breeding. Most of the time we use wolfdogs with other wolfdogs, occasionally adding more wolf blood.

8. GarthRyan

Apr 29, 2013
    Oh okay, gotcha. So what dog is in the blood besides wolf? Or is the wolves genes dominant and cause it to be the body style of a wolf? I understand that the dogs bred already have the wolf in them but in the beginning what was the dog?

9. SavageDestiny

SavageDestiny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    Bend, OR
    What health testing do you do before breeding?

10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I personally would be very curious to know how many chicken keeping folk own wolf-dogs! I've known two people who owned wolf hybrids, the issues they dealt with didn't so much relate to the animals becoming ill tempered but just to behavior related to the innate instincts already there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by