Wolves On My Property!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Kharmel, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Kharmel

Kharmel Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    My neighbor called yesterday to say that he saw 3 wolves pacing my fenceline! They shot one but it ran off. I'm afraid for my chickens who free range throughout the day but they are locked up at night so I'm even more afraid for my sheep and horse who have a run-in shelter and no way to lock them up. My fence is 2"X4" wire mesh that is around 5' high so they could either jump over or climb under the gates. I keep expecting to wake up to a bloodbath!

Any suggestions on what might keep them at bay?

I found out from another neighbor that wolves were recently released in our area:(

Why would anyone think that was a good idea when there is so much livestock around.

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Wolves won't generally bother larger livestock. I might be mildly concerned about a sheep if quite a few wolves who have no idea where to get food were just dumped in your area but the horse should be fine. Humans and wolves can get along just fine with livestock but we've forgotten how to live that way. Anything smaller than a horse or large cow should be brought in at night. Llamas and LGD can be used during the day and for anything that can't be brought in at night. Good fences. There are tons of fences around here that were built soooo many years ago with good old hickory limbs. They used to be very sturdy fences that would hold anything but they have been ignored and are rusted or rotting through.

Personally I think such animals as wolves deserve a place in this world. They can exist with fewer losses than the neighbors' dogs give most people.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    First question I would be asking is whether they were really wolves, or possibly coyotes or dogs or mixes.

4. Kharmel

Kharmel Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    Quote:That was my first question too, she stated that she was positive that they were wolves. I didn't see them myself so I can't be 100% sure.

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    It doesn't really matter whether they were wolves or coyotes. The solution is the same. An LGD. That is what those dogs were bred for.

6. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    Where are you located? There are very clear lines of wolf packs around the US but if you aren't in one of those areas, it is unlikely they were wolves. Coyotes is another issue all together. We have those here in the Kansas City area. Yesterday, I saw a bobcat cross the road right across the highway from our old Walmart building (becoming Southerlands now.)

If you have wolves in your area, you need to do what shepherds have done for years... get a very large dog. I'd recommend a Great Pyrenees or one of those dogs that have all that braided looking hair. They were MADE to fight off wolves!

Dave

7. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Quote:No dog stands much of a chance against a wolf nowadays. LGDs were made to protect against the much smaller wolf of yesteryear that our forefathers fought off and killed. The wolves that exist now in the states are the very large Alaskan and Canadian wolves... They can easily take down a cow or horse with 2-3 wolves.

And as far as livestock, whoever said they won't take down a cow or horse is wrong. Why do you think ranchers in some states get compensation for wolf kills after the (messed up) reintroduction?

8. cassie

Mar 19, 2009
    Quote:No dog stands much of a chance against a wolf nowadays. LGDs were made to protect against the much smaller wolf of yesteryear that our forefathers fought off and killed. The wolves that exist now in the states are the very large Alaskan and Canadian wolves... They can easily take down a cow or horse with 2-3 wolves.

And as far as livestock, whoever said they won't take down a cow or horse is wrong. Why do you think ranchers in some states get compensation for wolf kills after the (messed up) reintroduction?

European wolves are not small. That is where the LGD's come from by the way. Europe. LGD's weren't used much in this country until the 1970's or so. Before that most stockmen in this country had never even heard of them. In fact it was not uncommon for a sheepman to get a good LGD for his flock only to have a well meaning neighbor do him a "favor" and shoot it.

You don't need an animal that can kill a wolf. Dogs and wolves are territorial. You just need something to keep them away and show the wolf that what you have is more trouble than it is worth. A good LGD will alert you if something is amiss and it is something they can't handle.

9. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Yes I know where most of the LGDs come from.

Compared to Canadian wolves, YES European wolves are smaller overall. Are we talking about Europe here, because I can't tell where the OP is from?

When they did the reintroduction to Yellowstone the used Canadian wolves (They lied) not the smaller wolves that come from the states that are endangered. Consequently, wild game herds are being decimated because PEOPLE screwed up. Whether you have seen the reports or not, wolves are killing dogs and livestock more now than anytime in history. I have a good friend that was hunting (not wolves, can't remember what) and two of his GSPs were killed by wolves.

So yeah, nowadays you DO need something that can kill a wolf. They aren't as shy as they used to be... or the OP wouldn't be having this problem.

10. cassie

Mar 19, 2009
    Quote:As I read it, the OP wasn't having a problem yet. She just thought she might because the wolves were seen there. If I were her, I would get an LGD and invest in an electric fence. But that's me. Just a comment. Your friend's dogs were killed on the wolf's territory. Might have been a different story if the dogs were on their own turf. Just sayin'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by