woman clicker-trains chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by buffbuttercup, May 25, 2010.

1. buffbuttercup

buffbuttercup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Oregon
    pretty cute. am thinking about clicker training my birds for a no-fail 'come' but now i wanna train them to do tricks to, hahha!

2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

That's my friend Linda! She just lives about 20 mins away from me. She's a member of BYC and has really done some amazing work.

3. buffbuttercup

May 3, 2010
    Oregon
    so cool! maybe she'd be willing to give me some pointers, lol. the darn pet store i went to today didn't have clickers [​IMG] will have to find one.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Awesome! [​IMG]

5. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    That was really intersting! I have done some clicker training on my dogs. I'm going to start working on my chickens!!

6. moorechicks

moorechicks Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    Carthage,Tx
    I would like more info on how to start. I would love to do this with some of my babies!

7. buffbuttercup

May 3, 2010
    Oregon
    my first thing to do on my next day off is get my hands on a clicker! will share my (if any, lol) progress!

8. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    If you can't find a clicker, just use a snapple cap, they can click pretty loud if you get it just right, I think that would work too.
    BTW...that was an awesome video! Can't wait to get my chicks!!![​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You don't actually need a clicker to train chickens if you don't have one. Just movements or words they can learn to respond to. Takes a hundred or so repetitions and they'll get it pretty well. They are creatures of habit. Had a 8 week old silkie recognizing colors and shapes to get treats. Just offer treat as soon as it hits the right shape, and only offer for the right behavior.

10. buffbuttercup

May 3, 2010
    Oregon
    snapple cap! and i could enjoy the spoils. good idea [​IMG] meal worms and spaghetti noodles are my chooks' favorite things. i'm pretty sure they'd do ANYTHING for either one. just as long as my brown leghorn doesn't hop up and steal all the treats. she knows what's up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by