Woman denied service dog

I know nothing about working with service dogs but 5 or 6 days doesn't sound like enough time to master working with a dog. I definitely feel for the woman and if I were one of her donors, I would be livid.

ugh,they dont sound very legitimate at all.
the reason they gave for denying her a service dog was for failing the verbal test,cerebral palsy at its worst can make people totaly non verbal,and at the opposite end of the scale it can slur the speech so that one sounds drunk.
so if they are accepting people with CP for service dogs,they shoud know that speech impairment however slight or profound comes with the territory.

another point,they mentioned the maximum amount of training only being available to training autism service dogs,does the company not realise many of us with autism are non verbal,partly non verbal,or speech impaired and woud also fail this verbal test regardless of how many days training given?

it is absolutely disgusting that they say they dont give refunds and the money from failed training goes towards other service users.
that is not good enough,the money was raised for this lady,she did not give them a donation to be used as they want-she paid for a service which shoud be refunded if service isnt given.

am wondering though,if a service dog woud be enough for her as she doesnt have any other support if her family/boyfriend arent there?
she is a power chair user,so does she have limited use of one or both of her arms?
it might be better for her to pay for a support worker instead who can offer more hands on help than a dog can,though woud be surprised if she coudnt get a care package for free/paid out of benefits or funding like we get over here-very wrong if americans have to totaly fund it themselves,if that was the case she coud set up a trust fund,sue to get the donations back,put that all in the fund and use it to pay for support,perhaps a friend coud work for her as they woud understand her needs and not treat her like a child like a lot of agency support do.

That's absolutely ghastly - first they took $21,000 from her, and then they announced that she wasn't qualified for a dog.

I guess there can be fraud anywhere, but fraudulent disability services are especially disgusting.

yes, I would understand having to raise a portion of the money before being tested to see if you were a match for one of the dogs. After all, it does cost money to run the "boot camp" and that would be reasonable. But to require the full price and then not refund it is ludicrous.
It's not the woman's money. $$ never entered her hands. The company set up a "fundraiser" website and she solicited donations from friends, family and civic organizations. It speaks well for her community that she was able to raise the money so quickly and they should be praised for that. Instead, they are getting a slap in the face by this company keeping the money and nothing to show for their good deeds.

5 days isn't nearly enough to form a bond with the dog. That is why most reputable agencies have a training period at the school, then the dog goes home and training continues there, using either a local trainer or by traveling back and forth to the facility with the dog.

Either way, the letter from the lawyer is just ridiculous and didn't even really address the complaints at all. It doesn't even really seem like it was written by a lawyer. They usually use twice as many words to say nothing at all
roll.png

That dog wouldn't help her with anything other than pick her stuff up. She had a lot more problems then that. Hired help would have been better choice.

Last edited:
This sounds like a scam all the way. I am curious why she was turned away by the non-profits though... They did offer some money back and at least she is not losing her own money. I bet what happened is legal though but not ethical.

Quote:
Dogs can help with more than just picking things up for a person. They can help a person balance to move from one position to another, they can open doors when the doors are outfitted properly, they can alert someone if more help is needed or bring a phone, etc. I imagine a properly trained dog would be a great help to her.

Back
Top Bottom