Women Fighting over My DH, Good Grief!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Mar 28, 2011.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

DH was de-pooping the main coop this morning when one of the Delawares, Georgie, came over to get her hugs. She is super affectionate and a complete pain about it. While he was petting Georgie, up comes Tiny, our fiesty little EE-maybe Sumatra-cross half blind hen. She's the one we call the Tiny Terrorist because if you don't pay attention to her or push her away, she comes back at you, pecking hard and once even flogged.

Georgie started to walk away and Tiny was pecking DH's shirt for attention, getting some flesh in the bargain, and wouldn't stop. On a whim, he calls out, "Help, Georgie!". Georgie rushes back, runs off Tiny, then proceeds to sidle back up to DH for more petting. Tiny, not to be put off, goes airborne and lands on top of Georgie's back, then there was a tussle and DH made them both leave so he could get some work done. Gee whiz, he probably would have been thrilled to have women fighting over him at an earlier time in his life, LOL.

Georgie stood between my knees while I was sitting on the porch yesterday talking to Ladyhawk and went to sleep while I had my arm around her, rubbing her side. I finally had to get up and she was so relaxed, she momentarily lost her balance and almost fell down the steps, LOL. She is such a typical Delaware!

2. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    [​IMG]

3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] what a great story now your DH can say he does have women fighting over him. I see you have not found Tiny a new home yet guess you are stuck with her. I can't wait to get my farm thanks to your great birds I have add some new breeds to my list Delawares are at the top of that list now.

4. speckledhen

Yes, I think Tiny is just going to stay here forever. I think DH is quite attached to her, even if she is a royal pain. She will go in with the bantams and my Silver Phoenix pullet when the chicks are old enough to deal with her in there with them.

Delawares, or at least the lines mine come from, are amazingly affectionate, sometimes too much so! You really should get some. Their eggs are big, rounded and pretty. Georgie's are quite dark and Ellie's are huge and lighter, usually with speckles.

5. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I love that story. Do you ever tell these stories to non-chicken addicts and have them look at you like you are postal. They have no idea that chickens are the most people attached animals on the planet. Ours are commonly refered to as spoiled and underfoot when we are trying to work. We also have a mantis tiller and they scare me to death if we dont lock them up when it is running. They know the thing is gonna turn up some snack.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I can visualize the kerfuffle now! [​IMG] Mr. Popularity!

7. speckledhen

Quote:Even some chicken people look at him funny when he starts telling them about his women, especially Becca, one of my older BRs who I call "the other woman". He's just got a connection with these birds, though the roosters like me best. Isaac, Suede and Zane are my buddies.

8. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Great rooster names!

9. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    [​IMG]

10. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I know our where helping us build their new coop the bantam EE girls went under it to make sure that it was safe and sound and Leon walked every inch making sure DH was getting things right he watched him measure and double checked that also. It was great but sometimes just a little scary. I won't let them out if the rototiller is going they scare me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by