1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

women working "MEN" jobs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by unionwirewoman, Oct 14, 2007.

1. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    :Djust curious to see how many women out there work jobs that are typically classified as "men's work" .

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

um. I mow,weedeat,take care of all animals........ do the tractor work........ do the building of pens......and anything else that needs done.........is this considered "man" job? I wouldn't have it any other way.............

3. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    I am curious how it is for you gals who do work in male dominated professions. I am nurse, mostly women (DUH!) But we have a male nurse who is outstanding. I would take him as a nurse anyday over the vast majority of female nurses. He had to REALLY want to be a nurse to get where he is with all the ribbing and prejudism etc. So I imagine it is the same for you girls..... I bet you are outstanding at what you do cuz you really had to have a calling to do it. So come on..... lets hear some stories.

4. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Well, I stay at home now and take care of the animals, but I had one of those jobs for 14 years. The stress and new management took its toll on me.

I supervised the shipping dept. in a manufacturing company. I handled all outbound shipments worldwide. I had to stay updated on all customers receiving requirements, all the trade rules for other countries, set up loads with trucking companies, supervise employees, set up manufacturing deadlines with salesmen, work with the receiving dept on how & when to receive the raw materials, stay in contact with customer service at the head office, configured truck loads (how much would fit in the truck without wasting any space), drove a forklift, loaded trucks, unloaded trucks, set up trade show shipments & track them through to delivery.

I can't even think right now what else I did, but my boss wanted to know what all I did once and I figured it took me 27 hours to complete one day of work. He said it wasn't possible, I told him that was why I needed some more help!!! He couldn't understand that I prioritized everything and spent way more hours at work than I was getting paid for just to get the job done. (That was why I had keys to the plant!!!)

I explained to the General manager that was why some things were shipped one day later than he expected. PRIORITIZE!!! If shipping time was not critical, it went to the back burner.

I had to train my new manager (he was there 1 year), and when I quit, he only lasted 3 months before he quit. The next one lasted 6 months, and the one after that only 2 months. I'm not sure about the ones after that. 6 people were hired to replace me.

So that is my last experience in "a man's world".
    I loved my job and was very good at it. It was the hardest job I ever had, the most enjoyable and the worst one I ever had at the same time.

Jean

5. peacebird

peacebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    SW Engineer - when I started (1979) there were not many women. The first conference I attended had 98 men and ME!

[​IMG]

The first satellite I worked on had three women total over a three year period, every other engineer was male. It is becoming much more commonplace to see women working in the field now.

[​IMG]

6. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    Edited to remove personal content.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  7. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    We have the role reversal in our house. My DH is a registered nurse and Adult Nurse Practicioner. He does NOTHING with power tools, and does not do yard work. Doesn't do much house work either for that matter...

I work in IT for a bank for my day job, and am the Ms Fix It at our house. I've framed, done electrical and plumbing installs and repairs.

I do all the yard work and whatever house work I feel like doing.

Oh, and I do a lot of 'girly' stuff also - like sewing, crafts, etc. I just like to build things, whether it's with power tools or a sewing machine or crochet hook!

Susan

8. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I am a Mechanical Engineer and 9 times out of 10, I'll be the only female in business meetings. I've been visiting different suppliers lately and I have yet to see one where a female is doing something other than a receptionist position.

At the same time, being a minority helped me get hired into the field!

9. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    i work in IT. when i started i was the only woman in the department of 10 but now thru reorgs and mergers there are maybe 8 women in the 80 or so we have in application support. i actually design applications and i'm the only female doing that at our site. (design as opposed to actual coding and day-to-day support). when i joined this company i came from a job where i worked with 99% women and it was a nice change. the women at my old job were all very catty and clique-ish, there is none of that here. [​IMG]

10. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I teach chemistry at a local university full time. Not nessecarily a male domianted field in general, but it is where I am. I am also the youngest at 30. It was really weird whn I started at 26!

It is cool though, the college I teach part time it is almost ALL women in their science department. I love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by