Won a Chic

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Okinawa_Chicken, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Okinawa_Chicken

Okinawa_Chicken New Egg

Aug 24, 2008
    Hello. I am stationed in Okinawa Japan and last night I went to the Beer Fest and won a "Pink" dyed chic. My daughter loves it and I am wondering what I need to do so that this Chic lives a happy and normal life...Thanks for any advice...

2. mazinmary

mazinmary Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2008
    first of all you need to get some chick starter feed

make sure the chick is warm (heat lamps are a good idea but you could put a hot water bottle in the bedding if you havnt got a heat lamp)
    they sometimes get very lonely so it might be a good idea to get another chick to keep it company putting soft toys where the chick is about the chicks size is agood idea so it doesnt feel so lonely also make sure it has plenty of fresh food and water but make sure you use a shallow water dish so the chick can't drown
    good luck with your new pet![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    #1 priority, keep it warm.
    #2 feed: You can give it hard boiled or scrambled egg until you find chick starter.
    #3 Definately get it another chick. They are flock animals and truly need other chickens to lead a happy healthy normal life.

Oh, and it would be good to find out if the chick is a meat breed (like Cornish X Rock). Unfortunately meat breeds are bred to grow and harvest quickly. They generally do not live more than a couple months. If that is what you have, you will need to take special care to see it gets exercise and does not eat too much.

4. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    You can post a picture and maybe the folks here can help identify the breed.

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    It's probably an awesome Japanese breed of chicken. I can't wait to see pics!

First of all, you say you're stationed in Okinawa?

I'm not sure how easy it is for you to find things in Japan (I don't know if the language barrier is something that would prevent you from getting supplies, or if you are fluent in Japanese, or if you have someone to help you). They do raise some incredible-looking chickens there, so there has to be some way of getting them their normal feed. You may need someone to help you figure out how and where to get it. In the meantime, you could try feeding the chick things like plain oatmeal or Cream of Wheat (cook either one, don't feed it dry). Chicks will also eat a little yogurt. You will probably be able to find stuff like that at a store on base (I assume there's someplace on base you can shop for American-style things?).

Don't feed the chick anything like "bird seed" like what we would put in birdfeeders here in the U.S. It might snack a little on something like that if it was running around an American yard, but that stuff won't meet its nutritional needs.

After you take care of the initial concerns you have for the chick, you're going to need to think about where it is going to live when it gets bigger. Chicks grow fairly quickly, and they do poop a lot, so you're probably going to need an warm, safe outdoor place for it to live.

Also, the chick would probably have a better life with another chicken companion. Chickens can be friendly, but they don't "bond" with humans like dogs and cats do, and aren't happy in a cage like a parrot. Your chick will be lonely without another chicken around. Do be careful to find another chicken about the same age and size as yours. A big chicken will attack a chick and probably kill it.

By the way, [​IMG] and thank you for serving our country! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  6. Okinawa_Chicken

Okinawa_Chicken New Egg

Aug 24, 2008
    Thank you for all the replies. I will take a picture of the chic and post it when I get a chance. They dyed the chic pink so I really don't know what type of chicken it is. Maybe when the dye wears off I will get a chance to see what type of chicken it is. Thanks again for all your help. Its been over a week and the chic is still alive so I hope i'm doing something right.

7. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Congrats on winning the chick. Wishing you and your dd good luck with chicky. Thank you so much for serving our Country, God Bless you and your family.[​IMG]:thumbsup

8. Okinawa_Chicken

Okinawa_Chicken New Egg

Aug 24, 2008
    Hello all. Thanks again for the replies. I bought a camara today, however I don't know how to post pictures here. If someone can guide me though this process it would be great. I named my Chic "Chicken" and would love to post some pictures for you all to see. Thanks again.

9. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    I'm pretty new to this picture posting too, but I'll try to guide you through.

Save picture from camera to computer.
    Go into "uploads" on blue bar.
    Upload the picture(s).
    Copy the pictures code and paste to you message.

I hope that works. Others may have a better way, but that's how I do it.

10. Okinawa_Chicken

Okinawa_Chicken New Egg

Aug 24, 2008
    Hello all. Thank you for telling me how to post pictures. Here is a picture of my pink/white chicken. If anyone can tell me the breed I would appreciate it. I have grown very fond of my "Chicken" and would like to give her the best care possible. After I play with her she crys very loud for me......

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by