Wonder how fumes, smoke, etc. affect dvlpg. embryos?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jmc, Nov 18, 2011.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Any people in 'fumey' areas have any troubles with the fumes or smog or stink in the air affecting your hatches?

I wonder about even paint fumes or stain fumes in the area of an incubator....................

anyone?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  2. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    apparently no one..............

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I've worried about odors/toxic gasses with my chicks.

The air where I live is fairly clean. But, what I've worried about is painting while the eggs are incubating. Or, cleaning my oven. I've heard stories of canaries and other birds dying when the oven was cleaned, or certain pans being used. So, I've wondered if eggs are more or less prone to that.

I really want to clean my oven, but I'm putting it off til the eggs are hatched and the chicks out of the house. I have no idea if that's crazy or not.

4. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    thanks for the input.

didn't know about oven cleaner................hmmmm

someone did a light application of shellac in the room where the bators were recently and i asked that it not be continued. there was a slight odor--but what a slight odor is to us may be serious to the lungs of a tiny developing chx. embryo.

even if they are not yet actually breathing air, they are still receiving oxygen from the surrounding medium, so that is why i was concerned about 'fumey' stuff in the air..............

all the chicks hatched, but i am in NO WAY saying that fumes are harmless.....................

would love other input.

there must be people who incubate in L. A. or in other cities or...................??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by