wonder what kind they ate...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by soap&eggs, Jan 19, 2011.

1. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    something ive wonder about for several years..and ..i DO NOT want this to become a religious debate.....in the story of Mosses.. God fed them quail.....what kind of quail could they have been ? i only know of a few breeds. basically the ones youd see from most hatcheries...but i am sure different parts of world have their own breeds. i look at button quail..naw too small..courtnix..too small..bobwhite..but i thought they were only found in usa.. ?? what do you think ?

2. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
  3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Would You Believe Coturnix?

Quail Are Cited In The Bible A Few Times... Purely Speculation On My Part, But Given The Setting For The Story My Guess Is Coturnix Which Would Be Indigenous To That Area Of The World

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    But I Doubt They Were Bacon Wrapped [​IMG]

5. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:Yes, Coturnix. There is a reason why higher level predators flock to and survive on totally natural feast occurrences. The migratory patterns of coturnix. The fish whose name escapes me at the moment, and even salmon.
    There is a reason why a 500+# bear wanders the banks of rivers and creeks, just picking up salmon by the truckload.

If I were aimlessly wandering the desert starving to death and happened upon an exhausted migrating covey of coturnix....Well...We are having quail tonight boys and girls!

I have cracked the whole (QUAIL) thing. Now, the "manna" thing eludes me...unless it means drinkable water..Not sure about that.

6. soap&eggs

Jul 22, 2010
    loved the bacon wrapped comment !! will check out web site recommended maybe tonite. so do yous all eat your courtunix quail? i had several few yrs back for grand daughter , really didnt think there would be anything to eat on them under all those feathers. i do raise bobwhites. someday would like to raise enough for eatting but just love their cute little faces too much, so i raise cornishx chickens for meat.

7. Fishman43

Fishman43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2010
    Durham
    soap&eggs :

so do yous all eat your courtunix quail?

I have not eaten "my" quail yet, but quail as a game bird is one of my favorite to eat!​

8. soap&eggs

Jul 22, 2010
    "manna" i belive is hebbrew meaning..whats that !?.. (( angels food ))....i always had the imiage of something similar to old fashion dry cooking oatmeal..but lighter weight & coloring..tasteing like honey & melt in your mouth falling down like huge snowflakes !!! cant wait to actually find out !!!

9. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Manna from heaven - I have always thought was meat from heaven - not bread. So when I think of manna I think of birds because they fly with the wings of an angel.

10. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by