Wondered where my brown eggs went - Still edible?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MichiganWoods, Apr 22, 2009.

1. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Well, so I haven't gotten any brown eggs in the coop in over a week. I thought perhaps I offended my little RIW hen when I stepped on one she had buried in the bedding, so she went on strike. [​IMG]

This morning when I went to let them out of their pen, I saw her high-tail it away from where I was tossing out some oatmeal. Completely not normal. She loves her oatmeal. I decided to give her a minute and then trail slowly behind her. This is what I found. She was in the middle of her egg song, and rather perturbed that I discovered her secret special hiding spot.

[​IMG]

There were 7 eggs as of this morning. None of them were pooped on, but they were dirty from being on the wet ground. I washed them in warm water and most of the dirt came off, but some of it soaked into the shell. Should I toss them or are they still good?

2. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    That's a very pretty picture. [​IMG]

3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I can't see the pic, but I would give them the float test to find out if they're still good to eat.

ETA ok i see the pic now.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  4. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    She was probably getting ready to become broody.

Do you have a rooster?

5. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Thank you Renee'. [​IMG]

Chicky Tocks, the float test will work even on "new" eggs? For some reason I thought that only worked on aged eggs.

chicks for better health, yes I do. One rooster and thirteen hens. All eggs I've cracked open for eating to date have been very fertile. But they only started laying just before Easter. Will they really go broody that soon after laying?

6. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

Awww...she's very pretty. How old is she? I think someone told me awhile ago to not let her go broody until she's a year old. Not sure though.

That's funny I also have 13 hens and 1 rooster! How long was she off her nest?

7. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Thanks. [​IMG] Our 4-year-old DD has named her Why-Tee. If we don't pronounce it just like that, she gets mad and corrects us. [​IMG]

She hasn't been staying there after she lays. I imagine that they lay a bunch and then decide one day to sit on them all so they hatch at the same time.

She was hatched out in November, so just around 5 months old. Not old enough! [​IMG] I won't let them start yet.

8. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

If she is still adding to the nest and not actually staying on them, you should be good to go then. I would just crack them open in a bowl or something first to make sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by