Wonderful Forum advice on behaviour.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by savingpurple, Jun 17, 2011.

1. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    THANKS !!! And it is only day one,

My chickens were biting me, and pecking me all the time. The other day I posted a thread about drawing blood. The advice was good, no, great. Still have work to do, but tonight I went out to see what would happen,and I am impressed, and will continue to make me the boss:)

I walked out as usual, and all 7 ran to me, and then started at my feet. I grabbed the older white leghorn (purple butt, hence the name saving purple), and pushed her to the ground and held her. She squawked alot, and then released her. The other NHR came at me, and attempted to do the same, and only grabbed part of her, but enough of a downward motion to give warning, and then another tried,and did the same.....

Purple butt jumped up, where I was standing, and actually roosted, and the other 2 went and laid down. What an amazement and different attitude! With me giving them treats, taking control back, and my vacation coming up, I feel I should be able to get this down better than I have....

Thanks again, it sure has given me the attitude of control, and not fear! I am so new to this that I think I wanted them to like me, and was afraid to be dominant. I give them healthy treats alot. They see my suet basket coming , and they are all over it, before I can hang it...LOL

Thanks again!

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Would you direct me to the thread on this---I need to learn chicken language! THank yo u.

3. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Page 3...pecking and biting me all the time...don't know how to get the thread to this post. I was amazed tonight though:)

4. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

If you find the thread, just copy (CONTROL+C) (if you're using a pc) the address in your browser and then paste (CONTROL+V) it into your post to share with others.

5. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by