1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wonderful rescue chicken, Gracie.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickenlips, Mar 18, 2007.

1. chickenlips

chickenlips Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    I wanted to share Gracies' story with you. She was raised alone in a dog crate to become a meal for a snake when she got big enough. The only person who fed her was the roommate of her owner and he came into the store where I work and would buy an ear of corn for her every night. He shared her plight with me and asked if I would take her, since he knew I had other hens. I told him I would and he plotted to kidnap her. Guilt set in, though and he asked the owner if he could have her. The owner refused and put Gracie in with the snake. Gracie froze and because snakes won't eat what doesn't move, would not eat her. The next day the roommate brought Gracie to my store in his jacket and gave her to me. She is the most loving hen! She layed her first egg that night, follows me everywhere and loves to have me hold her. She stole my heart and will always be my favorite girl.

2. chickenlips

chickenlips Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    [​IMG]
    Here's Gracie!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. edbama2

edbama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Slocomb, Alabama
    Congrats on your save and new addition. [​IMG] Funny, how they take so quickly to people after life threatening events.

4. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    You have done a wonderful thing!!! [​IMG]
    Gracie is one lucky girl!! Is she a Buff Orp? They are the sweetest chickens. [​IMG]

Miriam

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

What a great story....way to go on saveing Gracie..and the room mate needs a HUG! She is beautifull!

6. thechickenfarmer

thechickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Ugh.....I hate snakes more than anything! The image of one big enough to eat a chicken will be with me all day! I don't even want to know the details of how a person could own a chicken eating snake. That's so cool that Gracie layed her first egg at your place, she was probably too scared before. Poor thing, she's beautiful and happy now and that's what matters. [​IMG] Jen

7. pegbo

pegbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Hurrah for Gracie!!! She sure is pretty and I'm glad you saved her!![​IMG]

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG] Poor Gracie! She's so lucky that you found her!! She is beautiful, too. I have a buff that I rescued too. She's my favorite girl.

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

That's a great end to a sad start!
    Boas and Pythons get big enough to eat a whole chicken...
    She looks like a Buff Orpington to me too.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She's way too pretty to be snake bait! Good going!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by