Wonderful Sound...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SouthernBYChickens, Dec 19, 2011.

1. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    So my chicks are now around 4 1/2 weeks old (5 RIRs, 4 SLW, 4 GLW, 3 Delas, and 2 Doms). The weather allowed me to get out and work on their outside coop getting it ready for them when they are large enough. Anyway, I live in town 2 streets behind a Super Walmart and have often wondered what some of my neighbors think of my new "enjoyment" or hobby. Late this afternoon, I'm busy working on the door for the coop and I hear a wonderful sound coming from down the street somewhere. It went something like this..................cockadoodaldoo (not sure of spelling). I stood straight up and listened more carefully wondering if I had really heard that and about 10 seconds later, he sounded off again. Aha!!! I thought, I'm not the only person on the block that loves the thought of owning my own little flock. It was a wonderful sound!!!!!!! Just thought I would share my "good feeling" with others of the same feather.[​IMG]

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    I'm not the only one on my street to have chickens either. [​IMG]

3. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    Similar here, but the other way around.

I started out two brooders this spring - one a mixed layer flock and a batch of CornishXs. No keepin' the neighbor's kids away. Not a pain, they paid attention when I showed them how to handle them, and would never come over if I'm not home. Still, they put the pressure on their folks to get into the chicken biz.

There wasn't anything around locally for chicks at that point, so their dad came home with nine birds he found somewhere, maybe twelve weeks old. One Barred Rock and the rest some mix of RIRs and RSLs. He pulled a shed building up from his back field to make for a coop that is accessible though our winters.

We are in the country on large parcels, but it worked out that accessible for my neighbor is not that far from my bedroom window.

Didn't mind it at all. As the few roos in the bunch came of age, they'd each start out with a croak, and advance to a week or longer tuning up a simple cockadoo. Seems the doodle in the middle is the challenging part.

The roos are gone to freezer camp, but their music was never a problem.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I live in a very rural area but I hear my neighbors birds too. The sound does carry. I'm sure they hear mine too.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Aww yeah, I still remember the time when my neighbours had their little roo for about two weeks... then they had to give him away because we live in an urban area, so that was unfortunate. [​IMG] I'd spent months watching him and his friend grow up in their coop, LOL.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by