Wondering about a heat sorce

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Casechaser, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Casechaser

Casechaser New Egg

Nov 12, 2013
    Hi, I had a thought on how to heat the chickens water container, it's about a 20 gallon trough. We in Northern Mi. and have almost 100 chicken, I've always just used a drop in a heater for the winter months. The chickens are kept close to the house and on the same side of the house is our boiler which heats our home. There is maybe 10ft from where the water sits and the exhaust comes from our boiler. My thought is to use the exhaust, which is very warm to heat water. I would not directly heat the water only the trough which will heat the water. I would have to extend the exhaust pipe and build a wood structure to protect the water from contamination. Please any thoughts on this idea is appreciated.

2. saz326

saz326 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    Be careful about ducting your exhaust. You wouldnt want to create too much backpressure that would prevent the heater from burning cleanly (if it is a gas/oil/wood burner you could generate more carbon monoxide and soot in the heater - less efficient, more dangerous and more maintenance)

I guess you would duct the warm exhaust so that it vented near the water store? I would trial using a perforated length of hose that is close ended. Perforations would e fairly large. The exhaust would vent out through the perforations near the water trough. If there was not enough gas flow, make additional perforations, or open the end of the pipe.

Sarah

3. Casechaser

Casechaser New Egg

Nov 12, 2013
    I'm concerned about the effects on the boiler also. I'm trying to get a hold of the installer and I'll check further with him on the exhaust. I just hate wasting all the extra heat. Thank you!

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It would be better to plumb in a loop of heated WATER rather than to try and reroute the flue

You could install a heat exchanger in the trough and a thermostat could control the temperature

Cost wise though, you're just as well off to keep using what you have in the past

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by