Wondering about a Sunny Side incubator for 6 eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by oregonkat, Feb 1, 2013.

1. oregonkat

oregonkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    I am thinking about trying to incubate our own eggs and was wondering if anyone has had experience with the Sunny Side incubator. Also, what has been your success rate with eggs purchased on ebay. Thanks.

2. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    I have never purchased it, but I never will either. It doesn't look reliable at all. If you want an incubator at a reasonable price, I'd recommend the hova bator 1602N. It will still need to be monitered, but it's reliable and I've gotten 95% hatch rates multiple times using it. It's holds about 40 eggs and costs about $40, but if you're willing to search, I was able to get mine for $30. I've used it for 4 years now, and it still works great. The sunny side up incubator honestly looks like a complete waste of money. It looks like it runs similarily to the chick bator which has horrible reviews.

About eggs on ebay, I have purchased a few and only have gotten 10% hatch rates, but it all depends on the distance and the seller. Take time to look through the feed back, some sellers package their eggs better than others and it will show. Also, if you can, try to find sellers that are closer to you. 2 states away vs. across the country makes a big difference.

3. Overoberyl

Overoberyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    I am not familiar with this brand but I would not waste my money on any incubator that could only fit 6 eggs, especially if you are planning to start with shipped eggs, you will want to set many (many) more than what you hope to hatch. I agree with the other poster, go with a HB or even a $40 LG from Tractor Supply if your budget is limited. If it isn't I would go with the Hovabator Genesis. Imo makes a big difference having the digital controls and knowing the bator will adjust the temp itself. Much less stressful than one that you have to manually adjust.

I've bought a lot of ebay eggs with varying results. To be honest, I've had my best hatches from eggs purchased through BYC, from people I know. Though there are a lot of great ebay sellers, there are a lot of careless ones as well. Definitely check the feedback and if you can ask if the birds in the pics are of their own stock or not. Good luck!

4. oregonkat

oregonkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Thank you so much for the input. All noted, I shall avoid this incubator. How do BYC subscribers advertise their eggs?

5. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Look through the "buy ~ sell ~ trade" forums for eggs from BYC members.

And I also agree that if you're willing to put in the money, the hova bator genesis is the way to go. I absolutely love mine! But for a budget, stick with the hova bator 1602N.

6. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Its probly up there with the chic bator , I just hatched 3 quail chicks in the chic bator , it worked BUT I had to have 2 thermometers in there and not only did I have to turn the eggs sevral times a day I had to rotate where they were in there , I had to keep the room temp exactly the same and I checked it probly 3 or 4 times an hour no joke. I know its tempting to get the cheap ones but if you dont have time to baby sit it constantly all day every day and eggs that are free its really not worth it and if your useing bought eggs you will likely spend as much on eggs beacuse they dont hatch as you would on a more expensive incubator , but your welcome to try it just know you have to watch it constantly and the likely hood of a good hatch is very small.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by