Wondering about marans :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StarLover21, Apr 9, 2012.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I'm intrested in getting a maran pullet soon...[​IMG]Of course I'm drawn in by the chocolate eggs, but I'm wondering how good of pets they are. Are they very freindly? Any personal experiances will be appreciated! Of course I'll be pampering it so I hope it will turn out friendly :) Do they go broody? If you have one, has it gone broody? Are they quiet? Does it matter what color they are? I've heard black copper marans lay the darkest eggs, is this true? How good of egg producers are they (how many eggs per week?). Any pictures and/or stories would be great! Sorry for all the questions :)

Thanks!

2. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    Marans are generally quiet, non aggressive hens. Mine are cuckoo variety and will squat for you to pick them up easily. My experience is that they are average egg layers, that is they will lay about 4 eggs a week until age two then start the standard 10% per year decline in production. Their egg shell color will gradually lighten as they age also. There's nothing you can do about it as brown egg layers get the pigmentation for the egg shell color from an enzyme in their hemoglobin (blood). Of course, the color of their yolk is dependent upon how much greens they get to eat. Overall, they're good hens, just don't expect them to produce like a Rhode Island Red or some of the other great layers.

3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Thanks! Egg production isn't the most important thing for us, that is should be all good. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by