Wondering about something...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by birdlover, Jan 16, 2009.

1. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I have finally decided to ask! When the temps are wa-ay below freezing for many many days, or weeks, how do wild birds get water? Also, the place where I work every fall has a peacock, 3 sebrights and 5 guineas running free. The peacock and sebrights went through last winter without anybody feeding or watering them. They just free range and are on their own. Well, they made it to this winter and, now, 5 guineas have joined them. I am about to go over there and give them water (hopefully they'll drink some right away before it freezes) but how did the peacock and sebrights make it last winter? And do I really need to worry so much when they're not even mine (but I took care of them during the fall festival and have an emotional attachment to them)? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but I really DO wonder!

2. birdlover

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Wow, I can't get over how fast a thread gets moved down on this forum!!! I just posted a few minutes ago!! Oh well. Guess I'll take my query elsewhere. [​IMG]

3. wishin4chicken

wishin4chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Hayden Lake, Idaho
    Hum, I think you've got an interesting question and wondered the same thing. Maybe someone will have an answer for us.

Anyone?

4. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Great question! I don't really know. [​IMG]

I suppose they could eat snow, I've seen some of my hens pecking frost off the window and they LOVE to eat the snow off my boots when I go in the coop. Makes it hard to do chores when you have 30 chickens pecking your feet. [​IMG]

Even when it's in the 20's here when the sun comes out it does melt some of the snow off the roof. I can't imagine they'd get enough that way though.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have seen birds scratching at ice before. They probably pick up the stuff they scratch.....

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I guess it's the snow, and if no snow, perhaps water in cupped leaves, when the sun hits them. We are a wildlife habitat here, a tiny one, but I have a hard time getting fresh water to stay thawed on days like this. I do see the wild birds pecking on the ice sometimes. Then again, they might get enough moisture from bugs, worms and insulated areas under leaves on the ground.

"Wow, I can't get over how fast a thread gets moved down on this forum!!! I just posted a few minutes ago!! Oh well. Guess I'll take my query elsewhere."

Don't be discouraged, we all know to read waaaay back! [​IMG]

Hope they'll all be ok, and bless your for caring about them!

7. birdlover

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Thanks, everybody!! It IS food (er...water?) for thought, huh??

8. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Maybe from creeks that run too fast for the water to freeze. Maybe ponds and lakes?

9. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    For my birds (peacock and guineas)..I always make sure they have fresh water every day....they are fed twice a day breakfast and evening before they roost...so far no problems and they know the feed times better than me......7.30am....they come in.....4.00pm back again for the evening feed......only time I do worry is if the temps dip below - 12 or snow......the guineas cannot tolerate snow in this country..they are "nesh" and it can kill them quicker than any severe frost....

10. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I have seen wild birds around here drinking from small pockets of freeze that melts at the warmest hours. But, I also saw a bird dead on the ground this morning - no visible cause of death. First I thought West Nile? But, then figured just cold. Poor baby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by