Wondering how to ship chicks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 4H kids and mom, Mar 18, 2007.

1. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Can anyone tell me how I'd go about shipping a few chicks a few states away? CAN you ship older chicks? Are there age requirements or other restrictions? Has anyone else ever shipped an older chick or chicken? I have a few people that live in MS that would like a few of my surplus roos in a week or so, but I'm not sure just how to get them to them! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks guys! [​IMG]

2. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Boy, I don't know?!? Baby chicks can be shipped because the yoke will nourish them for about 3 days from the time they hatch. But Wisc. to Miss.? I would be afraid to try it. Others who know more may be able to help you. I know they ship adult chickens sometimes, and put in a piece of melon, or some juicy fruit they can peck on and not die for moisture. But babies, a few days or weeks old, I would be afraid to try. Good luck if you do.

3. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
  4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    It is my understanding that you can only ship day old chicks ( and the hatch date must be provided or the PO will refuse the shipment). Once they're past the 24 hours, it is no longer safe to ship them until they are fully feathered. Then once they are fully feathered (at least 6-8 wks old), they are considered started chicks and can be shipped using the proper live bird shipping boxes.

We ship day olds using Priority or Express shipping, depending on what the customer wants or the distance of the shipment. We ship started and adult birds using Express shipping only. It is expensive but the only guaranteed service by the USPS. In my opinion, it is worth the cost to ensure your birds arrive quickly & well at their destination.

Jody

5. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    If I Do ship them they will be at least 8 weeks old, because I wont really know who my males are until then! So they'd be started birds then, right? Thank you for the USPS rules and regs link. I will use that. I dont mind the cost, I want them to go to good homes quickly and safely. Cost is not an issue. [​IMG]

6. Webb Acres

Webb Acres Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2007
    Alabama
  7. lacymorgan

lacymorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2015
    Kingman AZ
    Do you put any apples or melons in with the starter chicks.

8. lacymorgan

Jan 21, 2015
    Kingman AZ
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the green gelitin strip was that arrived with my day old chicks. It was very soft and looked like they might have been pecking at it to eat. I would like to get some to ship day old chicks with but dont know what it is or where to get it.

9. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    gro-gel plus - murray mcmurray hatchery has them for $4.50/6 pk i think

10. lacymorgan

Jan 21, 2015
    Kingman AZ
    Thank you I will order some now to get answers on the hatching shipping question

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by