Wondering how to treat lice

CrazyChickenLady

Hatching
12 Years
May 17, 2007
Massachusetts
Just wanted to say that from closer inspection today (because I had one crawling on my face...YUCK!)...I believe me Plymouth Barred Rock hen has a lice infestastion. I want to head out to the store to buy something to treat her and to treat the rest of my flock. I would and need some suggestions on what to buy....I want to get right to the problem. I have some DE on order....but in the meantime I need something quick and powerful. Also, the same hen has that air bubble I mentioned before...after soaking her today with warm water....the bubble takes over her entire breast area....it's like a big balloon under her feathers. I can't find any information on this.

Beth (mother to 6 daughters with another baby girl on the way, mum to 4 dogs, 5 cats, and 29 chickens)

this "bubble...does it feel like air or is it fluid?
To quickly and safely treat for mites/lice you can go to the petstore and get a sray for cage birds ... or for pigeons... be sure and treat the coop and nesting boxes (clear out all nesting material shavings etc. and treat with a good antiparasitic agent such as a permethrin/pyrethrin based one making sure no feed or water source is near when you do so)

it might be sour crop from crop stasis (this will often be gaseous) but it might also be an air pocket from a small puncture to an airsac...read about that at the link provided below... if it were me and I was unable to definitively distinguish between the two I would take the bird to a vet... if it is sourcrop then you will need something like nystatin and would need to get that from a vet anyway...
http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=emergencies&action=display&num=1161887881
Air sac trauma

http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=emergencies&action=display&num=1161893898
Sour Crop/Crop Stasis articles

For the lice, if you can find any, use nicotine from tobacco. They use to sell a liquid form that you just dipped a feather into and put some by their vent. Lice gone immediatley. Of course the coop smells like they've been in an all night poker party.........

Back
Top Bottom