wondering if anyone could give me a rough age for these 2 female King Quails?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by NatalieMJ, Feb 19, 2018.

1. NatalieMJ

NatalieMJ Just Hatched

Dec 9, 2017
    estimated age?
    will post pics

Skipper81 likes this.
  2. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Without pics it's pretty hard to tell ^^
    But honestly, as soon as they are above 12 weeks or so, it's next to impossible. I've noticed that the younger ones usually have a lighter color to the sides of the beak than the older ones, at least in wild colored buttons, but that's the only difference I've noticed when they are above 12 weeks. I'm not quite sure when the beak goes dark, but I think it's about 6-8 months.

Skipper81 and sylviethecochin like this.
  3. NatalieMJ

NatalieMJ Just Hatched

Dec 9, 2017
    i will post pictures tomorrow as it is too dark, however they do have dark beaks already.
    And i'm assuming Americans call them button quails?Instead of king quails?

Skipper81 likes this.
  4. DK newbie

Apr 20, 2015
    Yeah, King Quail in Australia, Button Quail in the US, I think Chinese Blue Breasted Quail is the official name and they are also sometimes called Chinese Painted Quail. In Denmark where I live, they are called Chinese Dwarf Quail. But on this forum, the term button quail is most common :)

5. NatalieMJ

NatalieMJ Just Hatched

Dec 9, 2017
    Pictures

Attached Files:

6. DK newbie

Apr 20, 2015
    Just a heads up - housing two boys in a cage that also has girls is very likely to cause trouble. I'd make a 2nd cage asap and move one pair to that cage.
    It's a little hard to tell from a distance but it does look like the sides of the beak are all dark so telling their age probably won't be possible, apart from them looking mature.

7. NatalieMJ

NatalieMJ Just Hatched

Dec 9, 2017
    I have had no trouble with the boys so far. And they all seem to be doing well. I have seen the normal king Quail display at the females but have only seen it once. Thank You for the advice though ;) Do you know when they are supposed to start laying? i've heard about 6 to 8 weeks but i'm not sure

8. DK newbie

Apr 20, 2015
    I think 8 weeks is the earliest I've experienced. It mainly depends on light - around 12-14 hours a day should be enough to make them lay - but stress is a factor as well. If you move them, they might stop laying for days or even weeks, if they are scared of animals or activities around their cage they might not lay at all, if they came from a place with less than 12 hours of light a day it might also take a few weeks with sufficient light to make them start laying.
    Make sure the hens have a calcuim supplement (like ground oyster shell) available to help form the shell.

9. Jen'sCityHens

Jen'sCityHens Just Hatched

Feb 12, 2018
    You may not have had problems yet, but you will. I have 3 pairs and they all lived happily together until they were about 8 weeks old, then my blue faced male started attacking my golden male. So i took the blue faced and his mate out. Then a week or so later my silver male started attacking the golden male. (You can probably tell the golden is quite passive!) My silver male is now attacking the male Coturnix that i have (he's the only one i have so i leave him with the buttons so he isn't lonely), even though he's 3x his size. Check out some of the other button threads. But sooner or later you will have to separate your males or risk coming home to a bloody scene.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by