wondering if chickens are laying properly

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by arkieone, Aug 22, 2016.

1. arkieone

arkieone New Egg

Aug 22, 2016
    hello everyone Ive been rasing rhode Island red chicken for 8 months now and I am worndeing if my chickens are laying properly or if Im doing something wrong. I have 11 hens Ive raised from chicks and am getting 5 to 6 eggs a day should i be getting more. If so can someone please give me some advice

2. Chickenloving

Chickenloving Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2012
    Clucking along
    [​IMG] That sound perfectly normal. I hope everything goes well for you!

3. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Actually that sounds about right. Not sure what the eggs-per-week rate is for RIRs but I had two Production Red hens and while one layed anywhere from 6-7 eggs a week the other was lucky to give me 5. It depends a lot on the individual hen, it's age, diet, environmental conditions, current mood... you get it, every chicken is an individual.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    How many hens do you have?

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Happy you joined us. As others have stated, that seems about right. Many folks are under the impression that every chicken gives you an egg every day. There may be days when that happens but there will be more days when less than the whole flock lays. Best of luck to you! :)

6. Chickenloving

Chickenloving Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2012
    Clucking along
    They said 11.

7. arkieone

arkieone New Egg

Aug 22, 2016
    THANKS EVERYONE THAT IS A BIG LOAD OFF MY SHOULDERS. THIS IS MY FIRST TRY AT RAISING CHICKENS AND I WAS AFRAID I WAS DOING SOMETHING WRONG THANKS AGAIN

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If they are pullets(less than a year old), and I assume they are, I'd say you are missing some eggs.

If you got the chicks in spring of 2015, so the birds are now over a year old, the 5-6 could be about right.

If you free range, some could be laying out in the range area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by