Wondering if I am safe saying my chicks are girls!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by urban-chick-mom, Jul 18, 2011.

1. urban-chick-mom

urban-chick-mom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Gig Harbor, WA
    The "girls" are 13 weeks old now. I have a Buff Orpington, New Hampshire Red and White Leghorn. So far no signs of spurs growing and no crowing in the morning. I was wondering if it is a sure thing that they are truly girls. I keep waking up in the morning dreading that awful sound. We live in a neighborhood so I can't have a rooster. Hoping by now I don't have to worry anymore. Any ideas?
    thanks!
    [​IMG] New Hampshire Red

[​IMG] Buff Orpington

[​IMG] White Leghorn....I know she is a girl because my friend ended up with her brother! LOL! But I didn't want to leave her out of the photo opp!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    In most cases, you would hear some sort of crowing at 13 weeks if you had roos. And great news...you would hear them, "before" you woke up! LOL So sounds, or in this case, "doesn't sound" like you have pullets. Congrats!

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I wouldn't presume no crowing = girl at this age. My cockerel isn't crowing yet (14 weeks) and I have heard of others being 6 months before they start.

Instead, why don't you take some photos and post them for the folks here to tell you?

4. homesteadinmama

homesteadinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Merrimack
    Should be able to tell if its a roo by big red comb/waddles at that age.

5. urban-chick-mom

Apr 27, 2011
    Gig Harbor, WA
    thanks for the info. I will take a new picture today and post.

6. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Yep, as others have said... Not crowing does not necessarily mean it's a pullet. Some roos take a long time to crow. I have 4 roos in my grow pen right now that I am sure of and only one of them is crowing. They range in age from 3-4 months old. Also, most (if not all) chickens have spur bumps and some hens will grow spurs. I had a hen that had wicked, sharp 2 1/2 inch long spurs. They are starting to get to the age where the roos will be growing their saddle feathers and their hackle (neck) feathers will be coming in long and pointy. You can check the feathers on the back right in front of the tail to see if they are coming in thin and pointed. Sometimes you won't see them right away so you'll have to part the already existing feathers and look at the ones coming in underneath. Also, if you have a buff or red roo, the color over the shoulders and back will start coming in more intense and brighter than a pullet's would be.

7. urban-chick-mom

Apr 27, 2011
    Gig Harbor, WA
    I posted pictures of the 2 "girls" hoping I could get input on if they are truly girls. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for any help.

8. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    Looks like females to me.

9. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Quote:Me too.

10. urban-chick-mom

Apr 27, 2011
    Gig Harbor, WA
    thanks for your input! I am glad 2 out of 2 people are saying girls!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by