wondering if it will work... UPDATE, candling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 6mutts, Dec 30, 2008.

1. 6mutts

6mutts Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    St. Clair, MO
    so i set up a little box with a light, a pan of water, thermometer and hygrometer. oh and of course the eggs, 2 banti eggs and 2 wyandottes. Kepping a steady 100* and 25-30% humidity and turning 3 times daily. Had this going since Sunday afternoon. Sound ok so far? This is BY NO MEANS a completely serious try at hatching- my mother gave my son some eggs and i told him I would do my best to hatch them.....thanks mom.....
    here's a pic to give you an idea of what i have going....keep in mind that the cardboard box is only there to lift the eggs toward the light for more heat, the wood box that the cardboard box is in is completely enclosed when the lid is shut, so there are no drafts
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  2. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    dont see why it wouldnt work, if you keep the temps steady. Good luck!

3. 6mutts

Oct 6, 2008
    St. Clair, MO
    ok, so if they do make it to hatch day, how should i have them while they pip? how they are now, lik the picture? or in something more steady?

4. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would buy a little dish pan at the dollar store (the plastic kind you wash dishes in) and line it with the rubber shelf liner (also can be found at the follar stores) You may need to put a couple of damp sponges in there to raise the humidity right in the pan, but the babies would be safe when they hatch. (Just tuck your thermometer/hygrometer right into the dish pan with the eggs)

Keep us posted! I'd love to hear how this one turns out![​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  5. 6mutts

Oct 6, 2008
    St. Clair, MO
    Quote:thank u so much, Would they be ok while I make the switch to the pan? I suppose if I could make it fast enough.......If I'm understanding you right, just replace the cardboard box with the pan and line it and use sponges instead of the cake pan of water?

6. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yup, that's just what I was thinking. And I think the eggs would be fine while you switch them over. Just keep an eye on the temp when you first switch them over. The pan may hold the heat a little better, so you may need to raise your light or switch it to a different wattage. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  7. 6mutts

Oct 6, 2008
    St. Clair, MO
    Quote:thanx urbanmama, that is very helpful---i will make the switch tonight and tell u what happens w/ the temps

8. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    looks like you could use some screen or something with smaller spaces than the rack in there now. their legs will fall in between the spaces.

this sure looks like a wonderful plan! hope all goes well! [​IMG]

9. 6mutts

Oct 6, 2008
    St. Clair, MO
    Quote:yea, i am changing it when i get back from dinner, i will post a new pic then!

10. 6mutts

Oct 6, 2008
    St. Clair, MO
    ok, here's what i did.....instead of the box, i used a large round tupperware with drawer liner on the bottom, then placed two soaked rags and the thermometer and hygrometer. Now Im trying to get the temp and humidity back up--sitting at 97* and 20% at the moment [​IMG] here's the new pic...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by