Wondering if my baby chick has a cold or something more serious...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mystyk13, May 13, 2009.

1. Mystyk13

Mystyk13 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2007
    We got 6 chicks from TSC. They are around 2-3 weeks old. One that we have is competely different looking than the other...as far as colors I mean. We noticed last night that she was trying to huddle with the others and seemed to be shivering a bit. She also was not walking around like the others, but basically just sitting there. We did seperate her and give her own food and water/light etc. I am giving her some electrolytes. She seems a tiny bit better today but not much. She seems to be sneezing and her tail still shivers sometimes. She also still does not do much but sit in a spot. I took a pic of her poo and will try to upload it. It was normal for a while and then she just did the one I am going to put a pic up of. Any ideas? Do you think we will lose her?? Thanks for any and all suggestions!

There is normal poop next to the icky poop too...the icky seems kinda brown/green/slimy

[​IMG]

2. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you measure the temp in her area to see if she's warm enough? 2 weekers still should be under 85 degree heat, 80 degrees for 3 weekers. I've seen a wide range of normal poos. Sometimes they appear brown and slimey when they have cecal poos. Is she eating? I'd say keep up with the electrolyte water and make sure she's warm enough. Good luck!
    Sonja

3. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    Just wondering. What exactly IS cecal poo? I've heard the term used several times, but don't know what 'cecal' is.

4. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Cecal poo is a brownish colored, slimey poo that chickens have about every 10 poo. It's usually stinky. It's caused from the chickens intestines cleaning itself out.

Sonja

5. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    Oh.... I've actually experienced a handful of that.... Right after cleaning pasty butt.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by