wondering now if they really are red sexes....hmmmmm

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jdr250, Apr 28, 2008.

1. jdr250

jdr250 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2008
    I've been doing more research on red sexes and it seems like all the adult feathers are red. Well my chicks are getting their wing feathers and they all seem to be cream colored not remotely red. Did I really get red sexes or are these some other types of chicks? Do their feathers change color as they get older?

2. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I have two that are suppose to be red sex-links. One is getting red feathers but also has some beige. She was darker from the start than the other one. The other one is looking more beige...wondering if it might have been a disguised cockerel. How old are your chicks? Mine are in their 3rd week of life..I think about 2 1/2 wks old.

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I, too, thought red sex link hens were supposed to be all red so for the longest time my little Lily was called Ron. She lays every day now. LOL

Here she is, and I have seen some with more white or beige than her.
    [​IMG]

4. Bird Hearder

Bird Hearder Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Salisbury, Md.
    We were told here that these are Red sex links.

[​IMG]

5. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Bird herder's ARE red sex link pullets. Look at their wings in that picture.. some are pretty light, if your's look like that it's probably okay, just wait until the body feathers grow.. should be redder than on wings.

Basically red sex link hens should look like hatchery stock or production RIR except with white tails and spots on the neck. That's due to the Dominant White gene.. it removes the black pigment while having little or no effect on gold/red pigments.

6. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    This is my chick Lucy. She's a Golden Comet sex-link chick. She and all three of her sisters look like this. In this picture she's a little over 3 weeks old. Most of her larger feathers are white with a gold edge on them. She's getting some darker feathers, you can see them on her neck.

[​IMG]

I just have to say, these are the sweetest chicks and have the most mellow personalities. I heard they're great egg layers too! [​IMG]

7. jdr250

jdr250 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2008
    This was taken a few days ago, so they were about 3 days old at the time. Wings are getting longer now but still that beige color. Thanks everyone for your answers. I was really sweating having gotten 5 roos [​IMG] ....lol

Oops forgot the pic.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Those pics look a lot like my golden comets, which are also a sex-link. Either way, they are both very good egg layers! [​IMG]

Golden comets, 1 white leghorn, 1 barred rock. 1 day old (16 of the cuties are golden comets!)
    [​IMG]

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    A red sex link is a RIR crossed with a white leghorn. MM sells them as Red Stars. I got seven of them one year in my spring chick order as warmers (which made no sense because I ordered 47 chicks, I think they just had too many on ship day).

Here is some of the packing peanuts on the day we dispatched them. I thought the roos would look more like the pullets I had seen but according to MM these were positively red stars (red sex link) males at 19 weeks old.

[​IMG]

These birds were mean. When I say mean I mean MEAN. I have NEVER seen a group of birds attack one hen and take turns breeding her while the other birds held her down. If I had not seen it with my own eyes I would NEVER believed animals could essentually gang r-p- a hen. Here is a link to the thread I started the day we took care of the problem . Be warned this link is a bit graphic on processing them for meat.

10. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    This may be a bit heavy on the pics..but here are some of my chicks..as a few days old and now 4 weeks old. The first two are red sex links -- both are SUPPOSE to be pullets

[​IMG]

Ginger-4 weeks old
    [​IMG]

Ginger and friend (black sex link)
    [​IMG]

One that I think may be a roo:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by