wondering on nice thin necks and long thin hackles

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dustponds10, May 30, 2010.

1. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Well, I have been shopping around and I am coming to the realization that in order to get what I want I am going to have to play with the birds my self. Here is what I am wondering and looking for. FIrst, I am wondering what cocks have nice thin necks with soft feathers and long saddles. If you know of a breed of chicken that has either trait please post the breed and if you can please post a picture of the bird. I have seen some phenox that are pretty awesome and have nice saddles but I havent come across the right ones for the job yet. I would really like some that are grizzley colored or white. If you know of or have these types of birds chime in please. It is a project that will probably be a long process but I am game if I can find the right birds. thanks

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Are you working for a Large fowl or bantam type bird?
    Other than a long thin neck, soft feathers and long saddles feathers what is the main purpose of the bird? Is it just to look nice or are the feathers going to be used for fishing fly's?

Is there a body type you are looking for?

The true pattern of the "grizzley" type bird is Barring.

Chris

3. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    my main purpose for these birds is to first establish a nice looking bird. I probably will want to work with regular size birds not bantams but either way it is good. I really just want a bird that lays well and the feathers would be fly tying quality. Not looking to make a million just want to get into a hobby that will help out a hobby for the pure enjoyment. That is all. do you have any suggestions on birds? If they are bantamsI am open to really anything.

4. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    When I think thin necks, I think of the long necks of game birds. When I think long saddles, I think long-tails like pheonix and sumatras.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    OK,
    For the a longer thin neck I would recommend a Large Fowl Modern Game and for the Long saddles/ tail you will have to go with a pheonix. It will take some time but those two breed should get you started.
    Now if you want good clean barring will have cross with a Barred breed that carries the K^s gene (Slow feathering gene) and the only one I know of is the Barred Rock (non-hatchery)

Chris

6. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Check Yokohama too.

7. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    You all are awesome, is there any pictures or breeders that you could put me in contact with? I would for sure be interested in knowing who I could get some nice birds from or get some eggs from.

Great suggestions so far guys now I just need to find where I can get some nice birds or eggs.

Chris, what kind of bird would a large breed modern be? Does anyone on the board have the barred with the K gene on the boards that you know of?

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:
    Chris, what kind of bird would a large breed modern be?

There is a breed called a Modern Game and you can get it in Bantam and Large Fowl..
    Here is a link to the Modern Game Bantam message board. You can ask there if they know anyone with Large Fowl Modern Game.
    You could also contact blackred he might know a breeder of Large Fowl Modern Game.

For the Pheonix go to the Pheonix breed thread and ask there. They should know of a breeder.

For the Barred Rocks with the K^s gene you will want to go to the Plymouth Rock Fancier's Club of America Message Board and start looking there and you may also want to by some of Dick Horstman. He has real good Barred Rocks. He sells a lot of eggs over at eggbid.com under the user name dickschick.

Chris​

9. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Let me reword sorry I didnt clarify. the long neck should have said Long neck feathers as in cape. Sorry I worded it wrong. Is there any out there with typically long neck feathers that would make good cape feathers for tying.

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Just use the Barred Rock and the Pheonix..

Chris

Last edited: May 31, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by