Wondering what breeds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ECSandCCFS, Jan 3, 2015.

1. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    We just picked up these two 19 wk old pullets. The people said that they are either black sex-links or Giants(I am assuming that they meant Jersy Giants). One of the pullets has a shorter comb and has streaks of whit and brown in her black feathers. She also has some missing feathers. I think that that is from the rooster that she was with. They are calm and curious. They both seem pretty healthy.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    They look like Sumatras or maybe Minorcas, Jersey Giants and Sex links don't have long tail feathers like those pullets do (at least I don't think so).

3. ECSandCCFS

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    Ok! thanks for your help. They are much lighter than our 1+ old sex links and Dom cross. They are pretty docile and hold pretty still when we hold them. Their names are Peppermint and Patty

4. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    They look too streamlined and long to be Giants or Black sex links.

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    They are not Minorcas, at least not full bodied, as they have the wrong comb type and they do not have a large white earlobe.
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Minorc/BRKMinorca.html

They could possibly have Sumatra in them. I can't see in the photos really well, but that may be a pea comb. They are not likely full Sumatras as they should have more black in their face and should have glossy black feathers. My 1/2 Sumatra/EE had black face and comb and then lightened as she grew older. http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sumatra/BRKSumatras.html

I do see some yellow feet, like the Jersey Giant, but they would be twice the size and built differently, so they are not Jersey Giants. http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/BJG/BRKBJGs.html

Right now, I think they are a mix, likely with a Sumatra. I've no idea what a Sumatra and Jersey Giant would produce, but I think it would be a heavier bird than this. (Those with good genetics would be able to instruct better.) However when you breed a small bird with a large bird you typically get a medium size bird...so it is possible a blend of Sumatra and Jersey Giant.

Black sex linked could simply mean they were the backyard outcome of a barred based mother with a red-based father. Commercial Black Sex Links are a heavier bird, coming from a Barred Rock mother and a NH or RIR father and generally have red bleed through, so that is why you are seeing the difference. The mating of these birds appears to have a more game type or possibly Mediterranean type bird, on at least half.

My thoughts.
    Lady of McCamley

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X3

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X4 on that.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think they're mixed breed birds. They could easily be homemade black sex links, or simply mixed breed birds with black heritage. I can't see the combs well, but the legs appear to be different colors, saying they're not the same breed. No matter, they'll probably still be nice backyard birds for you.

10. ECSandCCFS

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    Thanks so much! Patty has filled out and both are bigger and Peppermint has her saddle feathers are grown back. Patty has a single comb and Peppermint has a pea comb. Pepper mint has white streaks in her feathers and brown on her wings. Patty also has pretty white earlobes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by