Wondering what my roo might be?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by feistychick, Mar 20, 2016.

1. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    I got this guy a few months ago from the humane society as a small "hen". He was pretty scraggly looking. He has grown a fair bit since I got him, just started crowing so he's pretty young. I'm curious what he might be breed-wise. I know he's likely mixed breed, but am very curious if there's any way to tell what he might be made up of? I don't know much about genetics or chicken breeds.

[​IMG]

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Shooting in the dark a bit but he looks like an Iowa Blue to me. Handsome "hen". Good that he found a home with you as it looks like he is well cared for.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    He does look like one.

4. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015

Thank you - I'm going to look up Iowa Blue and see what they are :) He seems to be a happy boy. I had him quarantined for awhile with the other bird that I got from the humane society (who actually is a hen). I moved them in with the rest of my girls a few weeks ago and so far, so good. Thankfully we live in the country so it's no big deal that he's not the hen he was sold as :p

5. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
  6. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I think the guess above are likely spot on, hansom fella!

7. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015
    Thanks for all the help! I had no idea where to even start looking to figure out what he was. I agree that he looks like he's definitely at least part Iowa Blue. He turned into a pretty guy, for such a scraggly little bird :). I'll get on that Iowa Blue thread and do some reading!

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He could have some Blue in him, but with those white lobes he's at least partially mixed. Can we get a profile shot to see his coloring and build better?

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    beautiful roo regardless.

1 person likes this.
  10. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015

I had thought he was probably mixed, but was awfully curious what he might be - he started turning into an attractive dude. Does this help at all? I was just admiring how big he was starting to get and how he was starting to show the girls when he found things (I got him in December and he was so tiny compared to now).

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by