wondering what when wrong

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dustponds10, May 22, 2010.

1. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Well, this was my first hatch and I dont know what it was that went wrong but something did. I put my eggs into lock down 3 days ago and I was getting a great hatch so it looked but only 2 hatched and 1 other was all but hatched but couldnt get out of his egg. After a night and a half of seeing the new pips on the eggs and no movement other then the one that I helped I decided to see what the problem was. I coudl see that one was dead becasue the beak wasnt moving at all and it pipped the night before. The rest I didnt see any movement either. My temp was 99.5-100.5 using a brinsea spot check. Humidity was around 68-70. I found when I opened the incubator that the membrane inside the egg was pretty tough and hard. I imagine that is why they couldnt hatch but what would cause that? It was good to get a couple and one in question but not sure what the cause was that he membrane hardened. Any help would be super awesome. Thanks

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Did you open the bator when they were on lock down? Maybe give them some more time, it can take a couple of days for them to come out. I thought one was dead once because the beak wasnt moving so I took it out and it moved. I put it back. You say the Humidity was around 68-70, that was only the last 3 days right? I'm sure you will be getting more help and I'm sorry that happened. We all know what it's like waiting 21 days and getting nothing.

3. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    i would put the blame on low humidity. double check what your using for checking humidity.

4. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Oh I did get 3 that are pretty fun being they are the first three that I have ever hatched so I have some to keep me company until my pheasant eggs go to lock down. And yes I did not open the bator the whole 3 days of lock down. I just let them be and hoped for the best. I also incubated the eggs the other 18 days at a humidity of 50 and temp between 99.5 and 100.5 with some varies because of the weather and I turned my house heat off but nothing really sever I dont think considering that I had around 8 developing.

5. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Ok Ill run another test with my device and I am going to put another one in with it so that i can double check it. I hope that when I get the pheasents to lock down I will have a few more things figured out. Any more suggestions and help would be greatly appericated.

6. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    I agree with bigdawg. With new hatchers it's always hard to get the humidity right. You sort of develop a feel for it. I can't use hydrometers, all the calibrating and it just seems so complicated. Now I just throw in sponges and fill the water wells and it works.

7. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Wow that is something. I really want to get this right because I am looking into getting some eggs that I will in turn help my fly tying hobby and illness if the chicks hatch and I really dont want to spend alot of money on the eggs if I cant hatch regular barn yard specials at a decent percentage. I wish I could figure out the sponge thing and what not but I just have to get a feel for it this way and go from there. Thanks again.

8. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    50 is too high for the first 18 days

9. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    I wasn't clear on the sponges. They're for lockdown and I'm in San Diego where it's dry, I've never had a problem with too much humidity.

10. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    50 is to high? What should it be at? What effects will it cause if the humidity is to high for the first 18 days?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by