Wondering what your feed rations should be for a flock..

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SFCountryGirl, Jul 31, 2014.

1. SFCountryGirl

SFCountryGirl In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2014
    I know the general basis of what to feed my girls, but i was wonder what amount of pellets,corn, grit, etc, do you put in your feed .Don't want to feed them too little or too much of each ration. I also give treats out of my garden to them every other day.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Crowing

I have layer feed, grit and oyster shell available at all times, the chickens eat what they need. I don't feed any additional corn other then the small amount of cracked corn that is in the seed mix I toss out as a treat in the mornings and that is only a few handfuls for my little flock of 10. In addition to that my birds spend most of their day foraging on pasture.

1 person likes this.
  3. SFCountryGirl

Jul 30, 2014
    How much for each ingredient?? Thanks appreciate it! :)

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Crowing

I don't mix any other grains in with the layer feed because then they just bill it all out on the floor looking for the grain. I only feed a few handfuls of scratch grains once a day so I don't offset the nutrition in the pellets. The grit and oyster shell are fed in a small dish attached to the wall of the coop and kept filled.

5. SFCountryGirl

Jul 30, 2014
    Oh ok so you separate the grit from the layer feed and throw a handful of grain daily. Thanks :)

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Crowing

Yeah, I feed everything separate otherwise they are going to throw food around and make a lot of waste in the process of sorting and looking for whatever they are after at the moment.

7. SFCountryGirl

Jul 30, 2014
    Good to know. Just made her a make shift grit feeder out of a small butter container. thank you for the help. :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by