Wondering when to give up on her...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jeffross1968, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I have had a few illness issues this first year of owning chickens...now have a closed flock, and learned some good lessons for the future. A few months back, a couple birds started with some kind of CRD, rattling, little sneezing, some snotty nose. Treated with Tylan and eventually they cleared up and are laying normally (except for the one a neighbors dog got on Saturday). Anyway...I have one who got sick maybe 6 weeks ago, another brown leghorn, which makes 3 of 3 leghorns that got sick...just weren't healthy birds I guess, I don't know. Anyway, we treated with Tylan, and she began to improve. Then, a couple weeks ago, she took a turn for the worse, with foamy eye again and puffy face. We treated with Tylan again. There is no sneezing or discharge from nostrils, no rattling. However, her poor face is so puffed up, she is having trouble seeing past it to peck at food. She does eat from the feeders, but I think it's only because her aim doesn't need to be good. I've seen her out trying to forage, but she's just not good at it at this point. One side of her face is really, really puffed up.

I got her alone today, and was tossing her bread, and no matter the size of the piece, she just couldn't target it. She eventually got frustrated and ran up the hill behind the house. She seems to have normal poop, probably because she's eating the feed, and drinking normally. But the Tylan obviously hasn't done the job for this bird. I feel horrible, watching her have issues seeing. I have one more brown leghorn, who's face has recently turned palish and puffy, but is showing no other signs of illness beyond not laying and some lethargy. They both seem to occupy the lowest spots on the pecking order now, and I fear the other will worsen too, leaving me with two half blind leghorns. At what point are they really suffering? I've never had to cull a chicken before, and know the time will come, but if there is a possibility of either of them recovering, I hate to make a hasty decision.

So, does this condition sound familiar? How far do I let this go?

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I wonder if you should get some Sulmet going and treat it like coryza because of the swollen eyes. Now since coryza seems to be a broad term for a respiratory infection you'd think Tylan would do. Sulmet I believe specifically mentions it's a treatment for coryza. Why not do Sulmet and Tylan and see how that goes (although Sulmet is the one to do for coryza as anyone here will tell you). If you notice an improvement after 2-3 days, maybe you can drop the Tylan. I would also use Valbazen (1/2 ml or 1/2 cc for average sized bird) to worm her if you haven't wormed. A worm load won't help them recover from illness.

3. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Totally in agreement. Good luck with your sicky chickies. [​IMG]

4. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Question...she's been treated twice with Tylan 50. I just picked her up...there is no discharge from sinus or mouth. Watery eye, and massive inflammation of the area just in front of the eye is all I can see. I brought her inside, and did hot compress on the inflammation...had no effect. Was hoping it would drain. The inflammation is very hard. There is no smell, like there should be with coryza. I literally cupped her head, and sniffed for a while...gross!!! Anyway, no smell at all. She is just super, super inflamed in front of both eyes, to the point that she can not see directly in front of her. She is eating and drinking, attempting to forage (though she can't see good enough in front of her to peck stuff), does not just sit in a corner all day...has some energy...really don't know what to do. Should I really try a different med if there aren't other obvious signs of respiratory infection? It's literally, JUST massive puffy face in front of the eye. Grrr....

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  6. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    But shouldn't there be some kind of other symptom, other than giant puffed up sections of face in front of the eye? No sneezing, no rattling, no discharge....just puffed up so much right in front of each eye that she can't see forward...

7. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Could it be eye worm?

8. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Possibly. I did look for it, very closely. Thing is, the sick chicken is a brown leghorn...there is another that has started to follow her with puffiness, and it's also a brown leghorn. Again, only symptom is puffy face in front of the eye, though on this one, not nearly as bad. Aren't the chances of eye worm decreased if there are two showing the same symptom? Or can eye worm spread through a flock?

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I doubt it's eyeworm, they would be scratching their eyes. Here's a pic of eyeworms, one above the thumb and one in the tearduct area...very thin and white in color. If it is eyeworm, mix equal parts of valbazen and water and drop it in the eyes. Then dose the birds orally 1/2cc undiluted. Repeat again in 10 days.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  10. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:Yeah, I checked her pretty close, and saw nothing like that. Shouldn't a respiratory disease have other symptoms than just face inflammation?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by