wondering why there are never any chickens in a manger scene

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Simplethrift, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Simplethrift

Simplethrift Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2009
    Southern NH
    Hi there,

I've always wondered why chickens are not represented in the Christ child manger scene. You can find sheep, donkeys, and even camels but never any chickens.

Surely chickens were raised for food in that part of the world, so why no representation?

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    There's never a chicken in the manger scene because Mary and Joseph were too poor to afford grapes.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Good question!! The same thought popped into my head when I was putting out my nativity decor a few weeks ago... [​IMG] Looking forward to hearing from the history buffs...

4. Simplethrift

Sep 24, 2009
    Southern NH
    I'm fairly new to this, if someone can explain to me how to insert a photo I can show you how we solved this problem - figured it out thanks

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  5. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I thought the same thing as I wandered through a Christmas store Tuesday afternoon. I know there were chickens present because I read a lovely story about a rooster crowing when Jesus was born. Yet there were no chickens in any manger scene.

Plus, I could find ornaments for parrots, plamingoes, even fighter jets. But no chicken ornaments to add to my collection. I almost complained to management...

6. Simplethrift

Sep 24, 2009
    Southern NH
    Here's our solution:

[​IMG]

7. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I have a Fisher-Price Little People Nativity and it has chickens with it. I think there is 3 or 4 of them.

8. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Quote:Quote:[​IMG]: x2!

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Oh my...a chicken like that could have fed Mary, Joseph, the wise men, and the entire town of Bethlehem for a month.... Cute picture [​IMG]

10. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Oh my gosh, imagine little Baby Jesus waking up to a GIANT CHICKEN! Aaaaggghhhhhh! I'm sure if your manger scene were true, the course of history would have been slightly different...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by