WONDERING WHY

sera phine

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2021
WONDERING WHY - I put 6 misc breeds of fertile eggs under my broody silkie. After the first chick hatched, she was off the nest and the little one has been following her around since. My poor other possible babies. I'd like to see how far they developed but then I'm also so said I also don't want to know. I was looking forward to the unique breeds I was gifted. WHY DID SHE LEAVE THE EGGS AFTER THE FIRST HATCHLING?

BTW: The EE which the growth under her beak is doing well. The growth has reduced about 1/2 its size but is still there. She hadn't laid eggs in so long do to age, but since she's a retired sweetie, she just lives with the flock as big bird.
Séraphine

Were all the eggs placed under her at the same time? Hens are programmed to leave the nest within 24-36 hours of the first chick hatching. Staggered hatches generally cause such problems.
all the eggs were placed under her at the same time however they may have all been lain at different times so their internal development was probably different. As they have only been laid on at night, I suppose they are all dead.

all the eggs were placed under her at the same time however they may have all been lain at different times so their internal development was probably different. As they have only been laid on at night, I suppose they are all dead.
If she only laid on them at night and didn't actually set in the nest during the day, she wasn't truly broody. And when they laid doesn't matter for development unless they were sat on immediately after being laid

Back
Top Bottom