Wonky legs... 5 weeks old LO

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sweetlilgem, May 13, 2019.

1. Sweetlilgem

Sweetlilgem Chirping

Apr 18, 2019
    Corvallis, Montana
    5D47F251-8807-411A-878B-42C51DB52235.jpeg BEEAE1D0-4C31-4EE1-9A89-A0B42CE364A9.jpeg My LO continues to baffle me. I’ve asked about her/him previously. Wings are finally feathering and now I am noticing that this little one is sitting on its haunches a lot more then standing like the others the same age. Legs don’t seemed splayed but when it’s up and moving it’s a bit on the wonky side of upright. Should I brace them? Should I just leave it be? I’ve read my chicken books and I just can’t pinpoint the problem but I just don’t think she/he is quite right. It’s eating and drinking and growing.. just seems a bit special and I know this is not gonna be a small chicken. It’s not being picked on and has plenty of attitude. Posting pics... video wouldn’t post.

chrissynemetz likes this.
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    For video upload to youtube, provide us a link. The BYC upload does not work.

I think the video may be helpful - you mention it's wonky(?) what does that mean?
    Is the leg turned in/out, the foot curling, joint swelling?

What are you feeding?
    I would get some B2 (Riboflavin) into her - you can use poultry vitamins that contains it or give 1/4 tablet human B-Complex for a week.

chrissynemetz and Sweetlilgem like this.
  3. Sweetlilgem

Sweetlilgem Chirping

Apr 18, 2019
    Corvallis, Montana
    She just doesn’t seem to be able to stay upright for very long and seems to slip easily. I do notice that her toes are not as spread out at the others in the group. No swelling, not turning out or in. I also had not noticed this issue until a few days ago. I will do my best to upload the video and post it to this thread... video posting is not my forte!! I will pick up some B2 tomorrow and see if that will help. Thank you!

chrissynemetz and Wyorp Rock like this.
  4. Sweetlilgem

Sweetlilgem Chirping

Apr 18, 2019
    Corvallis, Montana
    Here a link to the YouTube video I just uploaded.
    It’s not super long but it does show her slipping and kinda how she sits back on her haunches. I’ve seen her wobble to the side as well when she’s up and moving. I can try for a better video tomorrow after work.

chrissynemetz and Wyorp Rock like this.
  5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    She's not really slipping to me, it's like her leg is giving out.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Be sure to start some B complex. Give 1/4 tablet a day crushed over food, or use more for the whole group. It has riboflavin, and can really be helpful in leg problems. It can be hard to know exactly what is wrong, but make sure that she is getting enough to eat and drink. Watch her legs to see if she holds one out to the side. Tendon issues or a leg bone deformity could be a problem, but riboflavin deficiency is easy enough to treat.

7. Sweetlilgem

Sweetlilgem Chirping

Apr 18, 2019
    Corvallis, Montana
    T
    Thank you!

Eggcessive likes this.
  8. Sweetlilgem

Sweetlilgem Chirping

Apr 18, 2019
    Corvallis, Montana
    My poor baby!!! I will start the B vitamins as soon as I get home today!!

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  9. Sweetlilgem

Sweetlilgem Chirping

Apr 18, 2019
    Corvallis, Montana
    So I can’t get my girl to take the B vitamin through mixing it with food.. she won’t have it. She screams her head off of I separate her from the others. I did add some vitamins to their water. Should I look for some liquid B12 and try to give her some that way?

10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You can dissolve it in a little water and syringe it into her.

Sweetlilgem likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: