Wonky/Lopsided Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cowlam Chickens, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Cowlam Chickens

Cowlam Chickens New Egg

Oct 23, 2012
    Hi All,

I have an 8 week old Cuckoo Maran cockerel who for the last week or so has been showing problems with the way his legs are developing. Prior to this he seemed to be developing normally, but the problem may have perhaps been less noticeable to my untrained eye.

When he stands up straight, one leg is positioned about 2-3 inches further back than the other (almost as if he has paused mid walking, but this is his pose standing up straight). When he walks, which I believe is slightly uncomfortable for him, he sort of hobbles a bit and has trouble finding his balance. He doesn't appear to be in any pain, and I can see no sign of injury. His toes are also starting to bend and deform, as if adjusting to angle the legs are now in.

In every other way he is doing well - feeding, drinking and moving about with the others. His eyes are bright, and he continues to grow at the same rate as the others.

For some background, he was the only Cuckoo Maran to hatch from a batch of 6. I Hatched him at the same time as some Splash Orpingtons and Jersey Giants, who have been overall more successful and healthy. It is for this reason that I think the
    issue is less likely to be due to problems with the nutrients/housing etc I have given them.

Is there anything I can do? or is it too late for that?

I realize that in these situations, their isn't much hope or use for a wonky cockerel! I had hoped he would grow up to be my 'main man' for my other Maran hens. The main thing is, I don't want him to suffer unnecessarily. If I kept him, what sort of future problems might he experience?

Kind Regards,

Michael

2. Cowlam Chickens

Cowlam Chickens New Egg

Oct 23, 2012
    Thankyou Sally :)

There is some very useful information their! This past year has been a steep learning curve with regard to chickens, and some of those pages have already helped clear a few things in my mind.

As for little Ivan, which is what he is called, while he does have characteristics of splayed leg, the problem only really started when he was about 7 weeks old and doesn't splay out nearly as much as the chicks in the pictures provided. Has anyone had this happen in an older chick/pullet?

Or does anybody have nay experience with congentital problems like this?

My feeling is that this problem is slightly beyond fixing, given the urgency in newly hatched chicks to fix leg problems asap before their bones set.

Does anyone have experience of the sort of therapy that might be undertaken to correct?

Michael

3. greatviewvt

greatviewvt New Egg

Mar 31, 2013
    I am having the same exact problem with my 5 week old Maran. He looks like he is bow legged. He seems to act fine though, but it may be getting worse. He has only developed this condition in the last week. It is not Splay leg.
    How is your guy? Any suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by