wonky neck chicken...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by refuge chicken, Oct 9, 2013.

1. refuge chicken

refuge chicken Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]

has anyone seen this before? this is pepper, she lives on our refuge in portugal,to cut a long story short,i saw her in a pretty awful petstore a couple of weeks before this first photo was taken, i couldnt leave her there so i brought her, honestly, i didnt expect her to live but 6 months on shes still here and doing fine, eats,drinks, gets around no problem, shes a really sweet chicken, i dont know anything about chickens ended up with some purely by accident and loved them ever since. i just wondered if anyone else ever experienced this? she can turn her head a full 360 degrees,its amazing! the other photo is her now, she has a happy peaceful life or i wouldnt have let her continue,im just curious! thankyou!

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. refuge chicken

thanks for that, have you experienced it yourself?

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with Eggcessive, this is wry neck. I would get some vitamins soon, and start treating. I'm not sure what vitamins are available in Portugal, but here in the United States, baby vitamins without iron work well. I've never experienced wry neck myself, but if you did more research, I'm sure you would find lots of people who have.

Good luck with your chicken! I hope she recovers.

5. refuge chicken

thanks thats usefull, been looking for vitamin e supplements and its impossible here! so ill get baby vitamins without iron, any idea what doses/amounts? thanks for that

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  7. refuge chicken

hi, thanks, ive been doing lots of research now, been and got some vitamins today and started with those although its not the best place to get stuff here but definatly giving it a try, she feeds and drinks really well so atleast thats not a worry! thanks for your help

8. keepmumsane

keepmumsane Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    featherston
    thank you from me too, i have a young quail we hatched who seems to be getting worse, I shall see if theres anything I can buy here too.

9. refuge chicken

i had to get vitamin e with selenium in u.k, couldnt get it here, but it does seem to have some effect, not on the neck but in general, shes a lot stronger and sturdier!

10. schnebbles

schnebbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    keep in mind, wry neck can take a while to reverse so keep treating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by