Wonky shaped eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nonny, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I hope this isn't going to become a trend, but one of my chooks has now twice missed a day of laying, but then the next day she's laid a large wonky shaped egg.

Weird!

2. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    have any of the wonky ones been a double yolk? We have a hen that lays eggs with a dented-in middle, and sometimes they will have double yolks. Almost like it didn't form all the way the first day, then another one was grafted to it.

3. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    The first one didn't - haven't cracked this one open yet. Here's a pic of it (on the left, normal egg on the right). It's kind of bulged out in the middle on one side.

[​IMG]

They both look round in the pic but that's cause I took the pic from the wrong angle I think.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I love the variety of shapes I get from my girls. I have a turken that has laid oblong eggs from the very start. This is one of her eggs after she first started laying (on the right) next to a 3 y.o. hen's egg:

[​IMG]

I get speckled eggs alot too. Now that my brahmas are getting older, I've noticed an increase in strange shaped eggs from them. Doesn't matter, they still taste wonderful. It's all part of the fun of having backyard birds. [​IMG]

5. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    Drumstick lays those oblong eggs sometimes too. In fact my 10yo son, whose 4H project the hens are, can tell who laid which egg just by its appearance.

6. Cindilou

Cindilou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Largo, FL
    Quote:I call those torpedoes. One of the girls that just started laying gives me torpedoes every day.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I call those torpedoes. One of the girls that just started laying gives me torpedoes every day.

We call em pullet bullets. [​IMG]

8. Martha80

Martha80 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Randolph Co. Indiana
    One of my new layers is giving me a "torpedo or pullet bullet" every 2 or 3 days and it will be a double yolker.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by