Won't all the egg/babies die?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bragabit, Nov 8, 2009.

1. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    I have an Easter Egger who has been missing for a week now. She comes and goes over my 6 foot chain link fence. She only comes home once a day at 9-10 am. She wasn't laying eggs in the coop for awhile, so I figure she's got a nest somewhere. The problem I see is that we can have some wicked weather here. Its unseasonably warm now, and when she comes home to feed in the morning its around 40-50 degrees. She is off her nest for an hour. Wouldn't the eggs, get too cool? Should I keep trying to follow her? She is hardly eating and I don't know if she is getting enough water

[​IMG]

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Chances are everything is just fine. Broodies only come off the nest once every day or two, so as long as she eats and drinks while she is there, it should be ok. The biggest problem is that something will get the nest. If you can find her nest, you can go out at night and get her and eggs and put into a broody pen.

3. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    if you can find her i would put a nest box with the eggs in it ontop of the origonal nesting place, and let her sit in it and at night, move the box into a broody pen, like the poster above said, its not about the weather, its about the predators

4. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    I hope you find her!

5. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    Found her with 15 eggs under that tiny bird. Moved her into a pen with fresh pine shavings and once we shut the door she freaked out. 2 hours later she showed no interest in the eggs. kind of sad, I wish we hadn't moved them. I can't be sure any of them were fertilized, and I don't have the heart to crack them open. I don't know if our bantam rooster was able to truely 'mate' any of my chickens, but that not from lack of trying.

We had a 1 foot snow storm last week and she was in the coop that day. So I know atleast 7 of those eggs were buried in the snow for the day.

Maybe next spring the 'urge' will hit again.

6. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    you shouldnt have moved her untill night time, obviously she wasnt going to want to sit on the eggs if you just move them becuase she doesnt know it was her nest.....
    your supposed to do it at night when she is asleep

i said in my earlier post
    put a nest box with the eggs in it ontop of the origonal nesting place, and let her sit in it and at night, move the box into a broody pen

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:While that is ideal, it's not always possible. Op said she was off their property on the other side of a 6' fence. I had to move one of mine that was on our property but in a really hard to get to place. I did it at dusk, but couldn't wait until full dark because I wouldn't have been able to get in/out of where she was. You can only do what you can do and hope for the best.

Sounds like this batch is a wash and quite possibly not viable to begin with, but on the bright side you have a broody!! Maybe she'll be more reasonable about location next time and you can slip her some fertile eggs.

8. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    You are right...you can only do what you can do! You did your best and at least she is safe and back home. She is alive to raise babies another day. Good job![​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by