wont be long and it will be time to start seedling tamatoes plants in the house

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by bluejeans, Feb 18, 2013.

1. bluejeans

bluejeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2012
    our last frost date here mostly is july 10 yet it can freeze here ant time of year ,, So my tomatoes are grown mostly in the green house .. i start seeds in the house in march and they go to the green house in late april to may.. with heater on thermostate
    I like the heirloom varietys. Bloody butcher for lots of early tomatoes and cheyane and going to try brandywine this year also..

i Love fresh home grown tomatoe sandwhiches .. Dont even need bacon on them just extra big thick juicy slice of tomatoe
    in between toasted wheat bread with a little mayo and salt,,

2. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    July 10 for a last frost? You must live above the arctic circle. Can't imagine anything growing with that short of a growing season. We've had frost in June here in Michigan but July? that's awful late. Where do you live?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  3. stake

stake Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    Malvern, pa
    Hey I am from the burbs of Philly. I just started my tomatoes and Zuc's inside. I usually try and get the peas in around St Patrick's Day and then get the starters in around first week in April(though I have been wiped out by froast a couple of years)....

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Bay County is practically the banana belt compared to our growing zone, up here in the Au Sable Valley of Crawford County. [​IMG]
    There is NO month where frost cannot happen up here. It's just the reality. We're only zone 4. We regularly have to dodge freak frosts in early June and we have to watch out for late August frosts as well. We often have less than 80 frost free days. You work around this. It is challenging.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  5. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    Fred, you already know that Michigan is the only state in the lower 48 where you can get sunburned and frost bit in the same week.

6. barrettdrka

barrettdrka Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2011
    Gosh! We started our tomato seeds along with a few other plants the week of Christmas. Hopefully, shortly after Easter we will be enjoying tomatoes!

7. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    I feel your pain Fred.
    Tomatoes are warm lovers.
    I am here in the Midwest, However we have a garden in Nw Ontario at our resort.
    Floating row covers and weather monitoring have been our salvation.
    Electric fence and dogs keep the Moose and Bears from enjoying what we work so hard at growing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by