Won't come inside...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TheSimpsons, Apr 27, 2017.

1. TheSimpsons

TheSimpsons New Egg

Apr 27, 2017
    I'm new to this chicken farming so I thought I'd ask vs assuming I could pick through these forums for someone asking the same question...

Live in Iowa...so our weather swings are pretty drastic. 2 days ago, 73 and sunny, this morning's wind chill is 28. I have 6 chickens, 5 weeks old, and I have a 4x5 coop with a secure pen underneath. As some in these forums say, I "fort knox'd" my pen under the hen house. I have a heat lamp back in the corner of the coop and their food and water is in the coop as well. But these things insist on being outside...ALL THE TIME! It's cold out there this morning and they're all huddled in the corner of the coop (I have a wind break on the north side of the coop) vs. being in the nice warm coop. I don't think I'm necessarily concerned about them freezing to death as I think most any animal's instinct to live would kick in to get in the coop...BUT...maybe I'm wrong? Also, when I had them in the brooding tank, they ate / drank noticeably on a daily basis...but I don't think the food or water (which is inside the hen house) looks like it's been touched since I put them out there 3 days ago...certainly not as much as when they were in the brooder tank. AND I put some treats in the hen house when I took them out there.

Yesterday it was cool and windy out so I picked each one up and put them in the warm coop, with food, water and treats. 5 minutes later they are all back outside. So I'm going to say they've not been back in that hen house since I put them out there except for the 2x I actually put them inside.

There's a ramp to get up to get in the coop...they walk down it to get out! But I'll be darned if I've ever seen them go up it. They perch on it...am I missing something? No big deal? But seriously I don't think they go in the coop. They're secure...but their food and water are in the coop...I tossed some veggie scraps in the outside area 3 days ago...they're long gone.

Thanks all in advance for your comments.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. Did you keep them in lock-down in the coop for a few days when they were first moved there? How old are the chicks? Do you think that the ramp maybe too steep? Maybe its too hot in the coop?

Maybe if you can include responses to these questions and post in this forum - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks you will get the best advice.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best
    CT

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  3. TheSimpsons

TheSimpsons New Egg

Apr 27, 2017
    Hey thanks for the reply. To answer you questions:

I the coop door is open all the time, but it leads out into a lower pen (via the ramp) which is all secure. So they can come and go as they like. The warming lamp is back in the corner...all good with that. They perch on that ramp so I know they can get onto it AND they purposefully walk out and down the ramp to leave the coop. The chicks are 5 weeks old.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You could try putting a flashlight in the coop at dusk - they should be drawn to the coop for the night

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under The Simpsons [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received links to some good starting points and some good advice from Ken, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by