Won't come out in the snow

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NicInNC, Dec 19, 2009.

1. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    I'm in the Triad area of NC and we got 7 inches of snow last night which is really rare for us. My chickens refuse to come out of the coop. They don't want to touch the snow! Is that normal? I have a heat lamp in the coop but they just stay huddled up under the coop. They won't come out from under it because of the snow. [​IMG]

2. jqs birds

jqs birds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Western Colorado
    My chickens act the same way, and we get snow on a regular basis. I just clear an area in front of thier door and they will at least go out and get some sun.

3. beerman

beerman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Smithville, il
    I live in Illinois and I can't get my chickens to come OUT of the snow! They have a nice heated coop and have to be hearded back in LOL.

4. NicInNC

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    Ah, ok. I wasn't sure if that was normal behavior or not.

5. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    We have 11" in Mt Airy, NC. The chickens have been hiding in their coops since it started yesterday. Except for a couple who hid under a shade shelter and the ramp to their coop. But then they didn't want to cross the snow to go in at dark last night. Silly birds! We had to put them inside.

This morning, we threw open the doors to all 4 coops....no one came out. They were happy to see fresh water inside though. LOL

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    My 3 hens did not go out to much.I shoveled the cement pad right by the shed door,and they stayed on that or just inside the shed. I noticed they ate a bit of snow.We had a few inches.

7. NicInNC

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Hi neighbor! Y'all got hit pretty hard! I'm heading out in a few minutes to give them some warm water, scratch and also some cooked oatmeal. Hoping that that will warm them up a bit since they won't sit in the coop with the heat lamp. I'll have to snap some pics...

8. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG]
    12" of snow & -25 today, a few of mine have braved the cold to come out in the run, But the majority decided to stay in the coop where it is much warmer! lol

9. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Mine let me know that its snowing by being really loud when I come out to check on them... goofy creatures... a bit of snow got in their coop and they were all standing like flamingos because i guess their feet were getting cold... this is there first winter so maybe its one of those things that they have to get used to it and then they will like the snow... they were like that with rain! cuties [​IMG]

10. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    Quote:God bless you -25. Looking at that I have so little to complain about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by