Won't come to bed tonight

emmec19

Songster
May 24, 2018
Southeast Michigan
This is our first go around of having ducks and our three are around 4 months old now. Usually at night they are at my feet begging for food and to be put to bed. If I don't get out at the right time, they often put themselves to bed. But not tonight. Our neighbor just today put 5 new ducks on our small pond (we share this pond with our neighbor) that she moved here after they were done raising them at her elementary school she teaches at. I don't think she intends to care from them in anyway, just let them be. One of them has taken to my three ducks and so I don't know if they are trying to protect it in some way, or if this new tiny duck has become my ducks new leader. And so tonight, I can not get them to come off the pond and come to bed in our locked shed. My ducks and the new little duck are all huddled out on the water. I'm so nervous they won't stay on the water, they are usually up on the shore. Our pond is very shallow and marshy and we live in a wooded, predator infested area. I'm quite nervous and don't know what to do other than worry : (
IMG_6642extra.jpg

Will they perhaps come to you if you offer them some of their favorite treats and then have them follow you to their night quarters? Hopefully the new duck will join your flock and learn to be kept safely too. I hope you have success.

We have had a good night time routine going now for a couple months of food and water right outside the barn and then meal worms in the barn after they are locked up. I did all sorts of calling and shaking of the treat bag at the pond shore but they were not budging. Stubborn things! I really hope they know how to stay safe out there!

I'm sure your issue is being caused by the newbies . .but I've also noticed that they go through a "teenager" stage where they just don't want to do things that they previously had been used to doing. :thone of mine suddenly refused to go inside tonight and I ended up having to corner it and pick it up and put it in. :he

This is our first go around of having ducks and our three are around 4 months old now. Usually at night they are at my feet begging for food and to be put to bed. If I don't get out at the right time, they often put themselves to bed. But not tonight. Our neighbor just today put 5 new ducks on our small pond (we share this pond with our neighbor) that she moved here after they were done raising them at her elementary school she teaches at. I don't think she intends to care from them in anyway, just let them be. One of them has taken to my three ducks and so I don't know if they are trying to protect it in some way, or if this new tiny duck has become my ducks new leader. And so tonight, I can not get them to come off the pond and come to bed in our locked shed. My ducks and the new little duck are all huddled out on the water. I'm so nervous they won't stay on the water, they are usually up on the shore. Our pond is very shallow and marshy and we live in a wooded, predator infested area. I'm quite nervous and don't know what to do other than worry : ( View attachment 1477239
How precious!

This is our first go around of having ducks and our three are around 4 months old now. Usually at night they are at my feet begging for food and to be put to bed. If I don't get out at the right time, they often put themselves to bed. But not tonight. Our neighbor just today put 5 new ducks on our small pond (we share this pond with our neighbor) that she moved here after they were done raising them at her elementary school she teaches at. I don't think she intends to care from them in anyway, just let them be. One of them has taken to my three ducks and so I don't know if they are trying to protect it in some way, or if this new tiny duck has become my ducks new leader. And so tonight, I can not get them to come off the pond and come to bed in our locked shed. My ducks and the new little duck are all huddled out on the water. I'm so nervous they won't stay on the water, they are usually up on the shore. Our pond is very shallow and marshy and we live in a wooded, predator infested area. I'm quite nervous and don't know what to do other than worry : ( View attachment 1477239
Did they come in?

Back
Top Bottom